Panny boards

Bearded_Malc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Having looked through here I'm still a bit confused as to which way to go. I'm thinking of a PW7. So DVD has component output and I thinking about a FVRT150 which says it has CVBS//RGB//S-Video output. I've downloaded the PW7 manual (USA - can't find the uk version - panasonic.co.uk site is so crap!). That says the component board TY-42TM6A (BNC) or TY-42TM6Z (RCA) will take either Y, PB, PR signals 'COMPONENT' or R, G, B, HD, VD signals 'RGB'. So it seems to me I just need 2 of these and connect up.

Why do people recommend the JS RGB-VGA then? The component board says it takes RGB and I keep the colour control etc. I lose with VGA, don't I? And the JS is more expensive. What am I missing? I assume PiP is more likely to work with boards than board + VGA.
:rolleyes:

I may not have every fact correct, but basically it is this.

The RGB out of your SCART gets its sync signal from the Composite video line. You will also see it called RGBS.

The RGB on the VGA socket is RGB with seperated horizontal and vertical syncs - RGBHV or as you have written RGB, HD and and VD.

So your combination board has RGBHV (same as VGA) and therefore cannot be driven from a SCART without using a RGBS>VGA convertor.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Nigel

Also have a look at my recent post here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1436337

Basically Nigel is correct, BUT you can change the SYNC the board uses to VBS in the setup of the screen. This allows you to use the SYNC from RGBS (direct from RGB SCART without a converter), this SYNC comes from composite signal. The problem is that the SYNC doesn't seem to be strong enough to power this input (I describe this in more detail in my post I linked to above), but when using something which boosts this SYNC signal (my cheap Joytech AV Control Centre seems to do this) this method does work! I don't think this is as good as using the JS-Tech VGA box though... I intend to find out soon though!

The PWD7 manual says sync is:

AUTO: The H and V sync or synchronized signal are automatically selected. If
both input, it is selected the H and V sync.
ON G: Uses a synchronized signal on the Video G signal, which is input from
the G connector.
VBS: Uses a synchronized signal of Composite Sync input, which is input
from the HD connector.

I thought on G was fairly standard but it may be not for scart. I need to find out what the FVRT150 outputs.

When it says HD I think in means the High density D-type or the VGA connector. I can't think what else it means. The component/rgb terminal board only has 3 bnc/rca connectors + audio so it can't be on the board.

The PWD7 manual says the VGA D has on its pins HD/SYNC and VD so that would seem to confirm you use the VGA connector for HD VD sync, and I guess you input VBS sync on HD/SYNC. Unless you have sync on G of course. In fact if you are using more than one RGB board you need sync on G as otherwise you'd have to switch the syncs to the vga connector.

The other odd thing in the manual is that the VGA connector lists R (PR/CR), G(Y), B(PB/CB) which is component input and the modes lists 625 (575) / 50i and 625 (575) / 50p as on the VGA connector for both component and RBG. But the wisdom here is that the 7 doesn't take component input like the 6 used.

:rolleyes:

I assume PiP is more likely to work with boards than board + VGA.

PIP won't work when combining VGA, Tuner board or Component board (RCA or BNC) - so I would imagine regardless of whether you go for 2x Component boards or 1 CB + VGA, PIP won't work. Ridiculous, I know, as it means you really need a SCART board to be able to use PIP... :censored:

Bearded_Malc said:
The PWD7 manual says sync is:
When it says HD I think in means the High density D-type or the VGA connector. I can't think what else it means. The component/rgb terminal board only has 3 bnc/rca connectors + audio so it can't be on the board.

The manual is refering to the dual slot component/composite board which has the same connectors as the board that it sounds like you have but with two seperate inputs for HD and VD as well as S-Video and Composite and audio all on one board.

I have the pw6 with scart board and js box as dvd player is scart. I am a bit worried where I can source other panny boards. I am looking at getting a new dvd player soon which will probably have component out. Is the only component board the dual one and where can these be bought from as a google search revealed nothing. I could get another vga board as with the 6 series I would just need a vga to component cable. Are panasonic still bringing terminal boards into the country?

The manual is refering to the dual slot component/composite board

You could be right. However all the pictures shown are for the single module so it's strange that if this was only for the dual they dion't mention that. In fact they never mention the dual at all. Perhaps it wouldn't be that odd for perhaps for a common sync for various source in a business environment. Anyway, seems like sync on G it what RGB needs to work in the home.

(BTW note I don't have this or any modules, I'm just reading the US manual which I downloaded - can't find UK one!)

If anyone wants to read the manual you can find it here
or if that does not work navigate from here

The single slot component video boards only accept SYNC on G, from the TY-42TM6A and TY-42TM6Z part of the brochure:

"Lets you connect devices that output component video signals, such as DVD
players or set-top boxes, or devices that output RGB signals.
* Accepts only RGB signals with "SYNC ON G"."

So when it talks about the HD and VD inputs it is not talking about the singal slot component boards, it is talking about the dual slot component/composite board TY-42TM6Y and also the VGA input. In the manual it mentions the available SYNC settings but it doesn't tell you what terminal baords they relate to as far as I can see.

The single slot component video boards only accept SYNC on G, from the TY-42TM6A and TY-42TM6Z part of the brochure

I missed that. What page is it on and what brochure (URL?)?

Cheers. What I wanted to do though is to be able to keep the js box plugged in for my freeview box and the scart board for my vidio machine( Hardly record anything but do use it occasionally and the quality doesn't bother me for what I use it for) I suppose I was wondering do I get the all singing and dancing component dual board or another vga card which I could plug componant into and is much cheaper. Also where the hell do I get the boards from? AV sales only do them with a new screen. Cheers again.

Thanks Nick_T. I think MAD comics had a thing to say about the * :D

It seems then the RGB must be RGsB not RGBS. I wish they makers would be more specific about what RGB they support. Its not hard, just a few more letters would make it clear.

This still leaves the question though of why the PWD7 manual says you can put in component or RGB on the VGA connector but user here say that no longer works - rumour, incorrect levels, or incorrect setup?

I read that the JS RGB-VGA does nothing with the RGB just the sync so incorrect levels or setup would seem a possibility. Or panasonic have their manual wrong of course.

Malc, I wouldn't have said that the VGA port does not support other types of SYNC, just the single slot component video boards (due to only having three video inputs). I don't see why the VGA input will not allow other methods of SYNC, the menu options are still there to change them on the PC input as with the other inputs.

From everything I have read the JS RGB > VGA box is pretty much the best method to connect a SCART RGB soruce to a Plasma. Have a look here for details on it: http://www.js-technology.com/produc...bb7d370db02ff605f&products_id=33&page_index=2.

I believe that it is the SYNC signal which goes through a lot of conversion and the RGB signals are left pretty much alone. Where as in the RGB > Component box the whole signal needs to be converted. Have a read of the info on the JS website where it goes into detail about how the SYNC is converted.

The JS-VGA has been recommended, but the component terminal boards are cheaper and it seems daft to me that I'm planning to connect my DVD which has component outputs via a component board but for the freeview box I'm spending more, effectively just to get sync. And the sync, since it is freeview, doesn't have macrovison etc. which might be another reason for JS. The DVD is the higher PQ after all.

There is also the her-indoors factor. I'd prefer to have the sources going into component boards so they could just be selected via the panasonic remote rather than SCART switcher ->JS>VGA->PWD7. Just me.

If you have yet to buy a plasma and you want the cheapest and most convenient connection for your Freeview box and the best connection possible for your DVD player I would recommend the following connection:

Freeview |---SCART Cable---> SCART Terminal board in Panny Plasma
DVD |---Component Video Cable ---> Component video board in Panny Plasma

If when you buy your plasma you are offered a free Terminal Board go for the SCART board as this is the most expensive to buy seperately and get the component video board in addition to this.

If you wanted the best quality from your Freeview box then I would have said go for the very slightly more expensive option of:

Freeview |---SCART Cable---> JS Tech RGB > VGA |---VGA Cable---> VGA Input on Panny Plasma

And keep the DVD player as above. You aren't required to buy an additional terminal board for your plasma if you go this route as the VGA input is the only input built into the screen.
You WILL be able to use your Plasma remote with this method just as easily as if you were using the SCART terminal board, you could even have picture in picture with your DVD and Freeview. The only thing you will loose is the auto widescreen switching.

Is the only component board the dual one and where can these be bought from as a google search revealed nothing.

plasmaware.co.uk sell the single slot component BNC board for £58 + VAT. I don't think you'll get it cheaper anywhere else (no idea of stock levels though).

Bearded Malc

You could always go with a NetGem iplay Freeview box (£50 - I believe) these have Interlaced YUV out on SCART.

Best regards

Joe

You could always go with a NetGem iplay Freeview box (£50 - I believe) these have Interlaced YUV out on SCART.

That's interesting. However I fancy a dual tuner PVR so the FVRT150 is favourite at the moment.

Anyone know full colour control still works with a component/rgb module running in rgb mode?

So whatever RGB source you have limited colour control. But can the setup menu configure the colour settings differently for each input (which I think is all you need, I never adjust the colour on the TV I have now).

Also, if the 6 series PC input board, which is what you fit to the 7, will take component, RGB and VGA what is the benefit of the component/RGB board? The PC input board will do all that the component will do, plus it will take a JS-VGA for scart RGB input. That sounds more flexible to me.

hornydragon said:
not everyone like messing with D-subs, the extra VGA borads are more flexible...(colour adjustment should not be needed for RGB sources IT really isnt such a big issue...........)

Well it would be nice to have some colour adjustment as opinions vary and that way I'm covered.

I was going to add that there is another problem with the PC board, no sound input, but looking I think that is a jack plug so I guess it does have sound.

blackmanalishi said:
plasmaware.co.uk sell the single slot component BNC board for £58 + VAT. I don't think you'll get it cheaper anywhere else (no idea of stock levels though).

Ordered mine from AV-Sales on Friday expecting a long lead time - turned up this morning :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom