1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny BNC Component Board "Noise"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by evochris, Jan 5, 2005.

1. evochris

evochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have noticed that when I switch my pw7 to use the BNC component board input I get some visable "noise" on the black background (i.e. with no signal source plugged in to it).

Can anyone with this same setup just do a quick check to see if this is common to all bnc boards or wheteher it's just me!! :confused:

I was going to remove the board and re-seat it but this involves dis-mounting the screen from it's stand so just thought i'd check if anyone else has experienced this before I go ahead and take it apart.

Cheers! :)

2. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it should be noisy or not, but please let us know how you get on as I should be receiving the same board for my PW7 this week!

Incidentally, have you used it much yet, and if so how does it compare with the pic quality from a SCART or other "lesser" connection?

Cheers

3. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    evochris,

I have the very same board, and have not experienced any noise at all. Maybe it's the connection. When you actually play a source through the component board do you still have problems?

blackmanlishi,

I got my board a while back, and have to say the PQ improvement was very significant. The RGB connection gave a good picture. The component gives an excellent picture. I got a Mark Grant component lead as well, which I couldn't recommend enough :thumbsup: , so maybe that has something to do with it.

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Carlito, very eager to get mine as you can imagine.

I'll be putting my Xbox into it via a component lead and BNC>RCA adaptors for the time being, although I may try getting a SCART>Component lead for Sky+ too as I haven't yet convinced the boss to let me get a JS Converter... :rolleyes:

5. evochris

evochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replys. I've just checked by playing a dvd and the noise is still visable. Basically you can see it whenever a black / dark background is shown. You can see small red/green/blue dots shimmering. Not that noticable but quite apparent close up. If you stand back the noise causes the screen to seem grey rather than black. I noticed this the other night whilst watching a dvd with the lights off. The black levels seemed to be suffering!!

blackmanlishi, even with this noise problem, component pq via the bnc board is better than rgb scart (in my opinion).

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    evochris have you calbrated screen at all ie used AVIA or DVE to set contrast and brightness... what you see may be dithering (all plasmas do this when trying to show dark colours and brightness is too high or your nose is too close to glass)

7. evochris

evochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks horny, it was just the brightness level. It was set to 7. Anything over 5 causes a visable greyness to a black background. Seems fine now.

Cheers!

8. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks evochris.

BTW, has anyone used www.parcel2go.com? I only mention it because that's who should be delivering my BNC board, but haven't.

I don't like slinging mud at a company I've only used once, but I'll make an exception here:

1) 22nd Dec - set up a new collection, scheduled for 23rd Dec
    2) 23rd Dec - they didn't turn up, no call either
    3) 24th Dec - they didn't turn up, no call either
    4) 29th Dec - I called to ask why not, they didn't know, and they didn't know why it hadn't automatically been rescheduled for another pick-up date (in other words if I hadn't called again it would have never been picked up, even though I'd paid for it). Best they could do was a new pick-up on 4th Jan - delivery 5th Jan - and of course no apology.
    5) 5th Jan - called this morning to be told they didn't know whether it had been collected on the 4th as there was no paperwork or any other info on their computers to tell them (but, I was told, there SHOULD have been...)
    6) Found out from supplier (excellent service, not to be confused with parcel2go) it was indeed collected on the 4th, but up til now has still not arrived and parcel2go have no idea where it is...

So the upshot is I've been waiting exactly two weeks (ok, 7 working days) for a 24-hour courier delivery service.

Their website advertises a 24-hour helpine, which is an automated service advising you to use their website outside of working hours (how original is THAT?!), and when you do use the site it tells you absolutely nothing when inputting the reference number they give you over the phone.

Does my frustration show? I thought I hid it pretty well... :suicide: :censored: