Panny bdt500 no sound over hdmi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hazbro78, Jan 28, 2014.

1. hazbro78

hazbro78
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am trying to send audio from my blueray player to my pioneer vsxlx50 amp over hdmi whilst sending the video direct to my tv using the other hdmi output.
    I have gone into the settings and turned on the hdmi output but I get no sound at all coming from my amp. All works fine using optical before.
    Has anyone any ideas that I could try

Thanks

2. Coz22998

Coz22998
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,239
    I think you have to go into the HDMI menu and set the Sub Output mode to video off (or something like that) - this then tells the player to reroute audio through the second hdmi. Oh and make sure HDMI main is connected to your tv and hdmi sub is connected to your amp.

I had this problem when using a non-hdmi v1.4 receiver.

Check out the manual under the connections pages if this doesn't work.

Good luck!

Mark

3. hazbro78

hazbro78
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply! I have done exactly what you said and it works great. Thanks for your help.

I have noticed that dts hd isn't showing on my amp just dts. The blueray is set to bitstream, should it be PCM?

4. Coz22998

Coz22998
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,239
    Glad it worked ok.

In terms of what the amp is showing, I would keep it set to bitstream. This should then have the amp decoding, rather than the player. As to why its only showing DTS, not DTS-HD, I dont know why.

Does the disk you're playing have a DTS-HD soundtrack? Sorry, I know its obvious but not all disks do. Is the amp display set to show the soundtrack being decoded? On my Yamaha, its default display setting wasn't to display the soundtrack info, I had to alter the settings on the amp to get it to show the soundtrack info.
    Also, is the amp adding any processing onto the soundtrack? Any presets like "hall" or "cinema" will add processing, meaning that what the amp is delivering is not "pure" DTS-HD, which might be why this isnt shown on the front of the amp's display......

So many variables, no really useful help from me at all I'm afraid.......

Good luck,

Mark