Panny BD50 has died

Longy00000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have had numerous minor issues with this player since i got it last june though not enough to return it just those sort of niggles you learn to live with.

for instance.

Hd sound tracks were definitely better through the analogues than through LPCM HDMI, i wouldnt have expected that.

DTS HD MA would play havoc with lip sync if 24fps was switched on. Go figure...?

Well yesterday it stopped playing half way through a dreadful film ( In the name of the king) and wouldnt no matter what i tried recognise any blu ray discs.
'Disc cannot be read' was the constant message.

DVD & CD can still be played just not Blu ray.

Anyway 7 months is a bit lame for a £400 piece of kit to last. It was today delivered to the very clever boys and girls who's mastery of the soldering iron is something to behold. They are due to report back to me in the next 48 hours (as well as to panasonic).

Serves me right for being an early adopter of a stand alone........gutted as i still need to know what happens at the end of the film even if it is a crap piece of film making.
Gots loads of other films on order as well.

Missing her already.:rolleyes:

Got my BD50 on release day and have had no problems, so looks like you were unlucky. Interesting you mention worse dound through HDMI compared to analogues. I am currently using analogues for lossless but was planning on getting the Octavia HDMI-7.1 converter and I'm now worried that the sound through HDMI will be worse.:(

Hi, obviously sound is subjective but i spent many many hours comparing analogues against HDMI.
My Amp has HDMI but not internal decoding and i always found the sound to be better via the analogues.

I have found the PQ of the player exceptional and the HD sounds excellent aswell its just my player sometimes had trouble doing both these things together at the same time and in sync with each other.

As it has given up the ghost now i think you are probably right that i may have just picked up a bad-un.

Sorry to hear about your BD50, I've never had any problems with lip sync when watching with 24fps enabled and DTS Master Audio over the analogue outs. Is it all the time or with certain discs? Maybe I haven't come across a problem disc yet.

I've also had no problems upgrading firmware over the ethernet connection so maybe there were some dodgy first batch players out there. Got mine last August.

May I add that I have had a few lip sync problems on American discs, but I never tried turning off 24fps to see if it fixed it. The lip sync seemed to drift in & out thoughout the films.

Hi, obviously sound is subjective but i spent many many hours comparing analogues against HDMI.
My Amp has HDMI but not internal decoding and i always found the sound to be better via the analogues.
quote]

I suppose it could also vary depending on the quality of the DACS. I have an Arcam AVR350 and I would expect the DACS to be better quality than in my Panny BD50, though I may be wrong.

The lip sync issue would drift in and out continuosly and as for the Dacs i thought the same, that they would be better in the amp than the panny but i think it may be more to do with the hdmi out of the panny just being a bit naff (bearing in mind mine is a duffer unit) and that maybe it wasnt carrying the signal as well as it might?

Either way the engineers are ordering some new bits and are trying to resurrect my unit. They are starting with a new player deck unit and will take it from there.

I will post more later when they give me more info.

(Have brought my DVD player down from the bedroom to act as stand in and its just not the same:()

Well a new whole playing deck was fitted into the Panny and i am now up and running with bluray play back once more. The lip sync issue is still there as they didnt have the facilities to test it at the time and asked me if i wanted to wait or pick it up and for me to return it later date for further investigation.
I opted to pick it up as i wasgetting withdrawal symptoms.

Interesting point though, the trade cost for the new deck (the bit you place you disc into) cost £212 so for a retail repair you would be looking at a mark up on that, VAT and then fitting so an easy £300 touch !!

Would you really want to spend that for a repaired machine when you can have a new one for that sort of money?
Crazy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom