panny ax100 problems picture/lamp

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by aibo82, Dec 28, 2006.

1. aibo82

aibo82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Was watching king kong tonight with iris off and set to cinema 2 bulb in eco-mode via component. I noticed that far away objects or sharp edged have a ghosted (e.g women standing agaist plane blue sky) outline lacking sharpness around them whats this caused by? my xbox seems to output DVD's at 576p yet switches back to 720p on dashboard and displays none of these artifacts there or in games? am i just noticed DVD quality or is it a signal problem? also im about 15 hours into my lamp and is flickering in eco-mode I set it back up to normal then to eco again seems to have sorted the prob for now any ideas?

any help would be great!

Carl

2. kiwijules0505

kiwijules0505

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The lamp flicker is a know problem. Here follows a quote by Panasonic on a New Zealand forum:

Okay, here is the official word on the lamp flicker issue...

We were notified by the factory on Monday that some AX100's may exhibit a flickering in the brightness of the lamp when run in Eco mode. This problem dissipates once the lamp has aged a little, or is run in high mode for a few hours. we are recommending fifty hours in high mode at this stage, but you can try less and see if it fixes the problem.

Alternatively you are welcome to return your PT-AX100 to the PNZ authorised retailer from whom you bought it. They will return it to us for a minor modification which will fix the problem. You are of course able to return your projector directly to Panasonic New Zealand for modification. In both instances this only applies to projectors purchased from Panasonic New Zealand authorised resellers. Naturally this modification is covered under warranty.

We do not believe this problem to be widespread as so far we have only had four units out of four hundred returned with this problem. I do however apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Hope this helps...

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Regarding Lamp Flicker. I can back up what kiwijules said. I had flicker on my 'new' AE900 last year and the fix was indeed to put it into high lamp for a few hours. Worked for me.

Apparently its to do with the electrodes in the bulb. PJ bulbs are like Xenon headlights in cars. They are arc lamps. ie The light is not produced by a glowing filiment like in a normal bulb, but by an arc of electricity between two metal electrodes. In a new bulb unless the tips of the electrodes have been machined perfectly the arc moves around the tip trying to find the path of least resistance. ie a little uneven nodule of a few micrometres of metal on the tip of an electrode can make the arc jump around which is visible on screen as flicker. The nodule/s will eventually be 'burned' off and the arc will eventually settle into a stable arc between the 'now' equally smooth electrodes. Putting the lamp in High mode speeds up this electrode tip smoothening.

4. bivith

bivith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like egde enhancement, which is a technique designed to make images look sharper on stardard sized TVs, but can look pretty bad when projected onto a big screen. It's less common on HD material due to the extra inherent sharpness of HD. And of course it won't be there at all on the 360 dashboard.

5. 5t3v3y

5t3v3y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I realise this is an oldish thread, but it seemed relavent to my observations I've made in the last couple weeks.

I nearly didnt go through with buying the AX100 after reading about flicker problems, but decided to go for it since I read that running the bulb in Normal mode for so many hours cures it. Anyway, here is what I have experienced with regards to 'flicker' in the recent weeks since getting the AX100 up and running...

I have experienced flicker with my AX100 however I'm uncertain as to whether its the same flicker that most people are finding with their ax100's.

I seem to be able to deliberately cause it when using my PC through the projector, since I noticed that clicking through menus against dark backgrounds of programs and dragging boxes like my computer around the screen made the image change although its not constantly flickering and can be stopped by turning off the Dymanic Iris, not the light harmonizer.

A way to deliberately make it flicker is if you load Windows Media Player and maximise it (but not make it play full screen as you need to be able to click on the menus) and have a clip which starts off with a black scene but dont play it. Make sure you have PJ in ECO mode and Dynamic Iris ON and Light Harmonizer on AUTO. Click on the file menu and see how the big grey menu appearing over the black background makes the colours and brightness go all strange.
    However, if you go into the AX100 menu and ONLY switch off the Dynamic Iris and repeat clicking the file menu, it doesnt go all strange. It just stays normal and there is no change in the colours/brightness of the image.

I have no idea if this is the sort of flicker people are reffering to which could be caused when watching movies/tv which flick quickly between bright and dark scenes, or if this is something different.

Other AX100 owners give this a go and see what happens :thumbsup:

Also, I noticed this flicker occuring (to a lesser extent) when watching a film if you have a scene which changes from dark-to-light-to-dark quickly. Its like it confuses the dymanic iris or it cant react quick enough, but if you switch it off, and watch the same bit, you cant notice any odd flickering.

Most of the posts I've read seem to say its the Light Harmonizer that causes the flickering problem, but I have always had it set to Auto and its never caused me a problem (as of yet). So far I have found that its the Dynamic Iris setting that has the most significant effects on flickering. After looking through the manual it says that the dynamic iris adjusts the brightness of the lamp and the lens so I guess it would make sense

Again, the type of flicker I am experiencing could be something completely different to what others have encountered since so far I havent experienced any constant or regular flicker and I have been running the PJ for nearly 30H in eco mode.

Any thoughts or comments on this would be of interest :smashin: