1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Aspect Modes

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sparky101, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi All,

just picked up my new Panny PW5B yesterday and been playing with it. Just got a couple of quick questions:

1) At first I hooked up my Sky+ via an S-Video cable direct to the plasma. The Panasonic Auto mode did not seem to work in that if I was on a 4:3 channel like Sky One, it went into Just or 4:3 mode (depending which I'd chosen in the Setup) but if I changed channel to say Sky Movies WS then it didn't change to 16:9 mode. Any ideas why? :confused:

2) I then hooked up the Scart from the Sky+ to a JS RGB -> Component box and connected that directly into the plasma's component connections. Now when cycling through the aspect modes, Auto isn't even available. Is this correct? Once I've got everything set up I will be using the component inputs on the plasma and it'll be a pain to have to change aspect ratios all the time.

3) Does anyone use the Auto mode successfully and if so using what source and which inputs on the plasma?

Got to also give a mention to Richer Sounds where I bought the plasma from. They've been having some trouble getting hold of one of the oval shaped stands for me, but yesterday when I called up they did have a couple of the Toshiba rectangular ones in stock so they let me borrow one of them so I could take the plasma home and use it while I'm waiting for my stand. This was the Colchester branch for future reference. Excellent service from John and the guys there. :cool:

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi on my toshiba rgb/pc can do 4.3/zoom/16.9
    on component it can do auto cant be selected
    and on component progressive imput only zoom and 16.9
    can be selected

hope this helps

3. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Anyone else as I didn't really understand jmack's reply :p

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi not very clear was i
    on s-video you can select 4.3 > zoom > 16.9 > auto > just

on RGB into the vga imput you can select 4.3 > zoom > 16.9

on component you can not select auto

on component with prog scan you can only select 16.9 > zoom

to select auto on s-video go in to setup and its in there

hope thats a bit clearer

5. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the response jmack. So why doesn't the Auto mode do anything when I'm using S-Video? Do you or anyone else use Auto mode with S-Video and Sky+?

6. mambasna

mambasna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought mine over the hols, fed via svhs vcr, noticed that in auto aspect mode it switches intermittently of its own accord between 'just' and 'zoom'