1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny and Pioneer-Screen V TV query.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Degas, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, this is a tad complicated in my head but probably quite simple in reality :smashin:

I am looking to replace my current 42" JVC plasma over the next month and have decided to go for a new HD Panny or Pioneer.

Now I understand that the current HD Panny TV is the TH-42PV500 and the HD Pioneer TV is the PDP-435XDE, basically I have a few questions that are probably easily answered by you good chaps.

1. Which is the better of these two TV's.

2. Are these models due to be replaced any time soon and if so when and by what and are there any prices available.

3. Are there 'none TV' versions of the screens available that are just panels with plug in VGA boards (or whatever they are called), if so what are they called, where can I get one and are they any cheaper than the TV versions.

4. Any other recommendations over the two above screens for a new HD TV/screen.

Thanks all.

2. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    loads of info on the site about the new pio 436 due sept oct time. Panny have the pw8 which is a panel i think comin out soon.

Only 1 person that will tell you which is best and that is you. You'll make the decision based on your needs, cost and which YOU think gives you the most pleasing picture

3. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having looked at the 2 TV's available I think I prefer the Panny, thanks for the reply but it was a bit of a cop out answer wise mate, there must be opinions on which is the better set and if it better to get a panel or TV and where to find them on the old interweb.

4. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ok iv'e got the pio 435 xde they are the best tv you can get go and buy one on-line this second. Is that less of a "cop out answer"? :devil:

5. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one :rotfl:

Degas on a serious note, asking such a question will only return you biased views, if you read the posts (wartsNall) this will give you a balanced view of the two sets.

If you read them carefully you will come to the conclusion that both these screens are far from perfect, then you will be as bewildered as the rest of us ;)

6. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, well done, that's just the reply I was expecting. :lease:

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    You may say that ikon has copped out but lots of what you have asked has been answered on here previously. More searching would have been good.

The PV500 is Panasonics current HD ready "TV" plasma - there are long threads about its apparent problems and an intriguing suggestion that it is now a "discontinued model".

The PDP 435 is about to be replaced with the 436 and the spec of the 436 looks good. As an ISF calibrator I think I am going to love the 436 - ISF day and ISF night memories that only calibrators with the appropriate software can access.

The panel-only option is the one that many of those who look for the ultimate picture quality follow. It can be more complicated, it needs thought about universal remotes to make it family friendly, and a dealer / installer who understands the different connection methods. Done well it is my choice.

The Panasonic PHD8 is due out very shortly and is the one that I am waiting for.

8. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Degas,

I can't say which one is better. People on this forum favour the Panasonic because it has very good contrast levels, ie very good blacks.
    The 42PV500 is the latest model and the equivalent panel, not out yet will be the PHD8. (so they are both HDTV's) The PW8 is the SD model so more equivalent to the 42PE50.

The Pioneer 435XDE has a panel only sister called a MXE.

The Pioneer has a separate AV media box, so if you are going to wall mount there are only 2 cables to run to and from the box. All your stuff then can plug into the media box (shorter cables = cheaper) -just something to consider.

I am considering panels because you can spend your budget on a good HD panel. Later on you can get a scaler (they range from £695-2000) which act like a separate media box in that there will be only one cable running to th tv. Also they have lots of goblins, wizards and other munchkins inside which make the picture nicer.

No one will tell you which is better because the answer here is always, trust your eyes and ears, demo, demo, demo. (it's like location, location, location) Oh I think the Pioneers are always more expensive than the Panasonic.

regards
    D

9. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you all for the replies I suppose my first question was a bit pointless as I have read many threads here about the pros and cons of each, and it will obviously down to me, it was more the other questions that matter, most of which have now been answered. I will be wanting to get ISF calibration at the same time as I get the panel. I am correct in what I have read in that the HD panny panel is not out yet, only the SD? If I wait till the HD version is available then what VGA boards would be required for a DVD player, SKY+ (to be upgraded to hi-def) and an xbox, and any sort of rough idea of cost?

I know it's frustrating having to answer the same questions over and over, I post a lot on a technical computing forum as I know quite a bit about PC's and it annoys me when people don't use the search function, however, I really don't have the time to read 40-50+ different 200 page threads, which is what happens if you search for the TV models above and ending up more confused than before I began. Hence I was looking for an overview.

Thanks again

10. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This thread is about the PHD8:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232047

Just to help you save some time. The PHD7 is on avsales for £1910. I think I read on here the PHD8 will be £2500

Boards are between £85-150. You can only fit 3 onto the panels. But if you're getting a scaler you need less.

I think ISF costs about £250.

Hope this helps

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    AV-sales web page gives the board options and pricing. You are looking at the HDMI board for Sky HD, component board for DVD and maybe a J S Tech converter for the Sky + box until you get the Sky HD box. The PHD8 isn't out yet.

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I had a good play with a mates PA50 yesterday and after a couple of hours with it, it is obvious they are quite away behind the panels (comparing it with the PW6) there is definitely some sort of processing going on that can't be turned off.

It was the same comparing my HD6 with another friends PV500, but I thought as he had only done 100 hours it needed more running in, but I think its just how they are.

If you can wait, and picture quality is important, I would, the new panels from Panny will be far better than the TVs and if you are going the isf route that is even more reason to wait.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As to huge numbers of boards, if you need more than 1 in a PHD8 you are barking up the wrong tree. That's why Piers says you need a dealer who knows what they are doing. Now this has the odd issue for calibrators I know, but the simplest systems, easiest for the family to operate, don't need lots of boards or lots of wire to the screen. You base your system around a scaler and/or a video upconverting AV amplifier. You will be needing either a switch box or a scaler with 2 HDMI inputs unless you have bucket loads of cash at the moment, cos AV amps with HDMI switching are like rocking horse poo.
    The PW and PHd screens ship with a composite board, (useful for PinP, switched with zone 2 of your amp) and a VGA port capable of accepting component video, so the only additional board will be HDMI, and you might not bother with PinP, so with a scaler, you have just a digital cable to the screen, with just an amp you might like the component one as well. Hope that dispels any myths about birds nests and panels. I can't remember the last time I connected more than 1 cable to a screen apart from for PinP

14. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I wait for the HD version of the new Panny screen would a scaler be required (as I thought they could handle the HD picture natively) or just a HD input board?

I Apologise if thats a stupid question and am not understanding what a scaler is, which I though scaled a picture to a TV that didn't have the resolution to display HD pictures natively.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not stupid at all, you do not NEED a scaler, you will need some video switching almost certainly, an HD input board will be needed, and maybe a suitable AV amp with component video switching and upconversion would fit your needs, youll be wanting some sound anyway.

16. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was looking at the Denon AVR1905 but they seem to have superceeded with the AVR1906, which I assume is just a slight yearly model change and some KEF KHT1005 5.1's, would they surfice?

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Think that's currently the cheapest upconverting amp! Bit on the lightweight side, fine if you have a compact cinema room though. Speakers a perfectly reasonable match for that amp.

18. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I see that AVland have changed the specs on their site for the AVR1906 to Video conversion to S-Video whereas it previously said upconvert to Component.

19. chrisrand

chrisrand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just been reading this thread and find myself in the exact same situation. the solution i have come up with so far is is a panasonic phd8 linked to a denon avr-3805 via a component link. I was planning to connect sky + , modified x box, video and dvd player into the denon. Can anyone forsee any problems with this setup please?

I would also appreciate some advise as to a good speaker system to link to this.

many thanks

Chris

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your proposed system is very viable, you could connect sky with s-video, to be upconverted, or via a RGB to component video converter for best possible picture. Be aware that there are a fair few options to compete with the Denon, which has the most hateful remote control on the planet! The amp may be over complicated too, orrering 3 zones etc. Nothing wrong with it, don't get me wrong, just you may find for similar money you could get a similar specced amp with features more suited to your use, eg Onkyo TXSR801, with network audio streaming from your PC. The denon is a fine bit of kit other than the remote though. All you need do extra in the install is make sure you've run a HDMI cable also if you are chanelling for cables, and of course zone 2 on your amp will switch PinP for your panasonic on composite or s-video. Speaker wise, too personal. Gallo Adiva and micro are popular here, Tannoy Arenas ought to be popular, an electifying sub in that package, Kef, B&W all worth considering.