Panny AE700 Scaling/Interlacing Basic Question

nashi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Panny AE700 and am confused about scaling and interlacing as it doesn't cover this in the manual. If I feed the Panny an interlaced signal does it automatically convert it to progressive scan? If the signal is 525i can it scale it up to 720 and does it do this automatically or is there an option I need to set for this?
Thanks for any answers.

Any interlaced standard definition signal you feed the panel will get deinterlaced (progressive scan). The only issue is whether the panny is better or worse than a progressive scan dvd player . So you either do the deinterlacing in the panny or externally in a progressive scan player for example.

For scaling the panny has a couple of modes ( I think) that change how the scaling is applied. Simply put yes it scales to 720p if required.

Only when I send my AE700 a 720p signal does it state 750p in the Picture menu. If I send it an interlaced signal it states 525i (for example), if I send a progressive it says 525p. If you send it a 525/625 signal then you can change the aspect ratio via zooms etc. If you send it 720p then this is disabled as obviously it is displaying it's native resolution.

I don't think the pj does the upscaling, the source has to do that.

The AE700 will scale up or down any signal (apart from 720p) to it's native resolution. The signal it displays (525i/625i etc etc) is just the incoming source signal. Obviously if the source player has a scaler then you can send the PJ various resolutions but the same still applies. Anything other than 720p will be scaled to it's native res.

I use a panasonic drme65 dvd recorder to deinterlace my sky feed and output via component , it makes a huge improvement over the pj's built in deinterlacer, picture is far brighter and colours are a lot more solid and vivid, just waiting for a cheap sweetspot card to appear on ebay so I can go the next stage to a perfect picture.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom