1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny AE700 - a few daft questions.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stevegreen, Jun 23, 2005.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Just a few daft questions i would like answered please.

I have a room (or will do) that is 13'9" x 7'9" which i will be using as a cinema/listening room. I would like to ceiling mount the PJ and fire the image onto an end wall/screen. What size image should I be looking for for a comfortable experience? 6', 7'........5', when sitting approx 10' away?

Will the Panny AE700 allow me to do this, will it handle the zoom needed?

I am intending to run, initially, a DVD player through my old Yamaha RXV496 receiver, this will then be upgraded to a better amp and a HTPC.

Will the projector accept a signal from my receiver ok? Can I connect my X-Box to the receiver or does it have to link direct to the PJ?

Finally, and I will research this a little myself, whats the AE700 like as a projector for this size of room? Are they generally a reliable model? Is it a good quality projector?

Comments appreciated. :smashin:

2. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have not long had this projector & am running it in a room that is 12' x 10'. Mine has been celling mounted & projects across the 10' section. I have a screen which is 168x95cm & the picture is good quality. i have mine connected to a stand alone DVD Player the panny S97 through HDMI & then i have ran a 10m optical cable to my amp.
    I have no problems & am enjoying my new setup.

Having to take it all down this weekend because i'm getting ready to decorate the room. which hopefully should be finished around the 7th July, Fingures croosed !

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My AE700 has been brilliant over the 10months Ive had it (cant believe its been that long!). I wouldnt be able to live without it now, its still special and still amazes everybody who sees it.

As far as screen size goes, its really personal preference, I bought a 203cm wide screen (horiz not diag) and site about 4.5m from it, thats about right for me. Any bigger and I couldnt follow the picture at the edge of the screen. Any smaller and it wouldnt give such a great effect. Those are my thoughts at least.

I decided on size by roughly taping stuff to the wall where the screen would be (a few sheets at the corners), sitting in the seat and imagining a picture between the paper. I also decided based on the aesthetics of the room as *WE* ;) didnt want it to be too over powering in the room.

As far as I can tell (from the google pics), your amp only has Composite + Svideo connections. It would be a huge waster of picture quality to send the picture through the amp. Far better (in my opinion) to run a component and and HDMI/DVI cable to the projector aswell. It would make an enormous change to the quality. I have my XBOX and AE700 connected via component (modded box upgraded to HIdef with hidef pack), this is seriously an amazing experience! Halo 2 on Live is unbeatable (you see people a mile off as they are so much larger than normal)! Another benefit of a modded xbox is XBMC, this allows me to play multiregion DVD/divx/mp3... every format you can imagine on the projector. XBMC can even unsample DVDs to HIdef which makes them look excellent (especially given the price of modding).

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My 700 is 13' back a produces a 6' 6" image horizontally across (about 100" diag) with plenty of zoom either way in hand. X-box is connected component and is chipped allowing games which support hi-def to be played at true 1280x720. DVDs are watched through PC via vga cable. Had my 700 from when they first came out and had no problems so far and have clocked up 2745 hours :eek: :eek: :eek: so far!

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is that 2745 hours without a bulb change?

Have you had it on low lamp mode?

6. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No bulb change - lamp on low. I'm looking at lamp prices now just in case this one goes pop!

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you found it any cheaper than £235ish including delivery?

8. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £235 inc. vat is cheapist I've found so far. Krish had a special offer of £99 bulbs a month ago - tried to buy one but their internet site is crap and it wouldnt put it through to checkout. Wish I'd have rung them :( as offer has ended now! If I find it cheaper I'll post the price.