1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny AE500 -best settings for HTPC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ellispa, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi All

I use a PC to 'drive' my AE500, and would like a little help in finding the best settings for it. I use it to view avi and mpeg files, as well as DVD's that are a mixture of NTSC and PAL discs.

I have a Shuttle, with a Athlon +2100, running XP with 1024mg of RAM and a ATI 9600XT graphics card, using POWER DVD and VLC media player.

Currently, for reasons more akin to stupidity than anything else, I have the resolution set to 1024x768, running at 60hz. For some reason, I thought that was the max res for the AE500. When I noticed that, hey, thats not widescreen, and this thing can handle 1280x768 @ 60hz! So I changed, and the results, were a little less than I expected.

For a start, there was a very noticeable flicker that I couldn't get rid of, either via the ATI drivers, or the PJ settings (which list the 'source' as HDTV60!). While the picture looked a little better, the flickering was an annoying distraction that I hated. It doesn't do this with the lower resolutions.

Then I noticed that when I played DVD's at this resolution, while the flicker was less problematic, there was an obvious increase in what I could best decribe as edge enhancement, or blockiness. Straight lines became jagged when at an angle. It looked like the resolution had been reduced rather than increased. I noticed this on R3 Day After Tomorrow, and a R2 Battlestar Galactaca (the new version).

It seems strange that the picture should look better at a lower resolution (even at the wrong aspect ratio!).

So, is there any way to reduce the flicker @60hz at the higher resolution?

And is there a reason why my HTPC at the Higher resolution seems unable to upconvert a DVD without introducing these annoying jagged edges. It looks like a low res AVI rather than a DVD. Is my computer just not powerful enough to upconvert well, or is it the 9600XT?

I've tried using reclock and powerstrip, but if I'm honest I don't really know what these things do, or how they work, so what changes i made seem to make no difference.

Thanks in advance any help any of you kind souls can offer.

Cheers

Paul

2. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Firstly set the resolution to 1280x720 not 1280x768,its native res is 1280x720 so the picture will improve straight away.See if that fixes any of the other problems.

regards

Sean

3. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    good spot, wij!

After a bit of fiddling with powerstrip and some minor annoyance at trying to get the computer to accept the 1280x720 resolution, it seems to be rock steady at that resolution now. I haven't had a chance to check a film yet, but I do believe you may have cracked it for me.

Cheers!! :thumbsup:

Paul

4. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have a look in the FAQ there is a thread on powerstrip settings @ 50Hz which is what I use for best PQ via DVI which is the preferred connection.A decent cable DOES also IMO make a difference in PQ.
    Just recently I rebuilt my HCPC due to an upgrade to a Mobile Athlon,reloaded new Catalyst drivers for my Radeon 9500 Pro and upgraded to Theatertek 2.Watching with a loan AE200 ALL the previous picture problems I had were gone,the picture is really quite good, just cant wait for my AE500 to return
    Well worth a try if you are unimpressed with PQ.

5. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    What DVD playback programme are you using?

I get constant flicker using PowerDVD whether its from disc or HD but with WinDVD its perfect.