1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny AE100? or Sanyo Z1?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CrackDown, May 27, 2003.

1. CrackDown

CrackDown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The Panny AE100 is £600 now, and that sounds a nice price to pay for a PJ. However, I don't want a crapish picture (screendoor). I am quite fussy when something isn't almost perfect ;)
    However the Sanyo Z1 looks very nice, but it is £500 more.

Decisions, decisions.

What are your recomendations?

Thanks

2. Sparkypups

Sparkypups

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As ever you pays your money and make your choice.

And between these 2 its probably down to 'whats your budget?' as much as your expectations.

If you have not had a projector before, either of these will be awesome.

I bought the panny as I expect to upgrade within 18mths - 2yrs and at that pricepoint its a no brainer.

The screendoor is not that noticeable really, a slight defocus and it goes away (reminds me of the old Odeon before the multiplexs tookover).

and with the £500 quid saving you can buy a lot of dvds or upgrade something else. New amp, new speakers how about a quality sub.

Now any of these, could improve your veiwing experience more than the offset of a slight defocusing of the picture.

obviously all IMHO of course.

Sparky

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Though the Sanyo does have greater resolution than the Panny (960x540 vs. 848x480), and so will be less "pixellated" and screendoor will show up less, I would imagine the biggest improvement is in contrast and black levels. I haven't seen the Panny, but from what I've read/been told, it doesn't have the best black levels or contrast in the world. The Sanyo, on the other hand, has excellent contrast and very good black levels (still not as good as a good DLP, but not far off anymore). to me, that would make the difference between a keeper and a waste of money. But that's just me. :)

In any case, it's certainly worth getting a demo and making up your own mind.

Cheers,

Dunc

4. nero041001

nero041001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's any help these along with the sony vplhs1 were the projectors that i was considering and even after reading the problem pages with the panny im still gonna go for that cos its the cheapest and i have seen some of the screenshots that it can produce which seem spectacular enough for me so ill start with that one and work my way up although i havent seen the panny for only £600 ! i first saw it for £899 then someone came on the thread i set up and told me they got one for £770 please could you post where you can get it for £600 cos ill be able to get one sooner then. hope my advice helped a bit im new to all this so bear with me ill be checking and posting every day hear from you soon
    ----------------
    tris
    ----------------
    //goodmans 32" tv/yamaha rx-v800rds receiver amp/MiCO dvd/mission main and centre speakers/mordaunt short bi-polar rear speakers/samsung vcr//

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Look Here !!! - I'm assuming your posting is genuine - the thread is on the first page of the Forum............ BTW, you should edit your earlier post which contains your "personal" email address - unless you want to attract every sort of spam on the planet (or worse). Use PMs to advise someone of your email address if you want to communicate off-forum.

Sean G.