1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny AE100 - new owner - screen size?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Godzooky, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting one of these tomorrow - I have had my eye on one for about a year now and I can't wait.

The PJ will be approx 3 metres from the screen. I think an 80 inch screen (16.9) should do. Does that seem right? Where is the best place to get a reasonable screen?

2. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why not take a look at the 'projectorcentral' site. Search for the projector you want, and then use their distance calculator to work out how big the picture will be at different distances.
    As far as screens go, if your after a good priced manual wall model, do a search on this site for 'grandview' and 'projecta', these models seem to be the most popular.:smoke:

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Godzookey,

You'll find the throw-distance calculator referred to by Drew
    here . You should also give some consideration to how far you can sit from the screen - you should really be defining your screen size by the sitting distance first ( sitting distance should be between 1.5 and 2x screenwidth). If you can sit between 10 and 13.5 ft away, an 80"wide screen should be OK. You will get a better result if you approach it this way. Once you've settled on a screenwidth derived from sitting distance, then use the throw-distance calculator to calculate how far from the screen the projector should be - the answewr is in a range of figures, representing minimum and maximum zoom. If you can accomodate it, you should use minimum zoom for best picture quality, and adopt the lowernumber from the throw-distance calculator accordingly.

Have fun !!

Sean G.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I sit 11 feet from my 80" wide screen and I would not want to sit any closer, as I can see screen door from this range.
    I have a 80" 16:9 Da-lite modelb screen from www.direkt2u.co.uk I think its called the grandview now. Price around £250