1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny advice for a first timer

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Epoman, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi

Just planning my next upgrade and am thinking of buying a 42” plasma.

I thought about buying an LG given it’s very attractive price, but after reading a few poor reviews it seems that paying a bit more is advisable. My budget is £3k all in.

After considering the Hitachi 42PMA400E, Vision PM4202 and Toshiba 42WP27B, I have short listed the Panasonic TH42PW5B which appears to be well reviewed by most of the magazines and is discounted now from £4k to under £3k, including the wall mounting bracket but not a tuner. However, I’m concerned to read here of ‘creaking’ and ‘flicker’ problems :(

Can anybody offer any advice? I am aiming to find the cheapest web price before approaching John Lewis for a price match to benefit from their 5 year warranty :)

I’m also very confused about the connections as it has no scarts. What else do I need to connect it to the rest of my system :confused: I will of course ask my dealer before I part with any readies, but it would help to have some knowledge beforehand!

I have a Marantz 7010 DVD player and a Denon 3802 amp. Sky Digital will be in place this week.

Thanks

Imran

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hi Imran,

IMHO the Panny is a good choice, but keep in mind that John Lewis will only sell you the panel + tuner box version, so you'll have to price match based on that. And if you do take that route, then your connection problem is solved 'cos you'll just plug it all into the tuner box.

If you must buy from JL, then I suspect you'll have to look at different panels since the tuner box will add to the cost. Personally, for the money you're talking, I'd suggest that you take a look at the Hitachi 42PD3000. Pretty good for the money.

Or wait a little longer for the new Panny 6 series integrated models (see other threads).

If you just want the panel, then you'll not be buying from JL, but you'll have the connection problem. Most common solution is to get the scart to VGA (or component) converter from here, and use a scart switch box to handle multiple inputs (personally use a Quintro with good results). But you'll lose auto-aspect switching with this approach.

Cheers, Carl.

3. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks fr the advice Carl. I'm not sure whether to go for the tuner option as it does add considerably to the cost.

When you say 'scart to VGA', do you mean the RGB to Plasma VGA quoted at £120?

I am concered to read of flicker and creaks with the Panny, which I must say is rather off putting. I'll have a gander at the Hitachi model.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yep, RGB to Plasma VGA. That's the one. Plenty of info about it in other threads.

As to the flicker, you're best off viewing for yourself. I can just about notice it on the few demos I've had, but it's not something that bothers me. That said, it drives some people nuts. You'll never know for sure until you take a look and decide for yourself.

Cheers, Carl.

5. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks for your help Carl. I'll take a closer look at the panny.

A couple of questions about the converter. It seems to have just the one scart. If I use this for my DVD, how do I then connect my Sky and video player?

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Many possible ways (in order of personal preference) ....

If your DVD has component out, then it goes straight into the plasma (or media box). Then VCR passed-thru your sky box, and sky box into the RGB-VGA converter.

If your DVD doesn't have component, but it does do RGB pass-thru (i.e. two scarts), then VCR passed-thru Sky box, Sky box passed-thru DVD, and DVD into plasma via the RGB-VGA converter. Basically daisy-chaining the lot.

And if your DVD doesn't do pass-thru, then you'd need a scart switcher like the Quintro (if you want it remote controlled), or the £10 manual jobbie from Argos if you don't mind moving to switch inputs.

See ? Plenty of options :eek:

Cheers, Carl.

7. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks mate you've been very helpful. RGB pass-thru seems the way forward

The only remaining problem is how I pay for the plasma! Suppose I could do what I always do ........ buy first, worry later!

Thanks
    Imran