1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 85 or Tosh RDSX32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stanman, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Stanman

Stanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    WHich one of the above 2 do people recommend. I've ordered the Panasonic but I am inclined to cancel as I prefer the DV input on the toshiba for my digi cam. I can use a scart convertor with my digi cam with the Panny but how bad would the recording be in comparison to the DV input??

Cheers

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tosh does auto chaptering with DV in.

Both have their merits. Easier to tell you which is best when you state what you want from one. In a nutshell: Tosh is highly configurable with barely english manual but has DV in, Panny has easier interface and can get 3 hours on a DVD without losing resolution (for more detail look for threads with Panny and tosh as this question has been asked loads of times).

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The Panny will produce more compatible DVD-R's as well.

If it's your first recorder I would say defo Panasonic. If it had the DV in I think it is the better machine.

However, it doesn't and for some (like me) DV is a fairly big thing. You can get quite decent recordings via analogue connections but not as crisp as pure digital.

Apart from this the biggest thing against the Panasonic is that it is DAMN UGLY :eek:

The Tosh on the other hand is cheaper and I would say more versatile with configuration and settings. It's playback is also far superior to the Panasonics.

Do a search as this topic has been discussed at length in previous posts. :)

4. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny's lack of support for DVD+RW or DVD-RW was the killer for me as I want to make recordings for a friend and reuse the disks when she sends them back, and I had no confidence her PC could read DVD-RAM.

I just bought a LG every-format burner and even it can't read a recording I made onto the DVD-RAM which you get when you buy the Tosh, so I think I was right to avoid the Panny.