1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 85 or Pioneer 420?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alicat, Jan 18, 2005.

1. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. Panny 85 £329 Pioneer 420 £299

Readability and frame accurate recording is what I want as well as automatic chapter insertion. Can't find the English manual for the Panny only the American one. Don't know if this differs much though apart from socketry, region coding, voltage etc.

Can't wait any longer for the JVC DR 7 plus it is a bit OTT for my needs. Already had a Tosh 32 but sent that back due to readability problems from day 1 with a variety of disc brands and speeds.

Thats it. Must buy tomorrow. Hole, pocket & burning money etc.

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 420 can record PAL 60,has PC style Disc backup and offers -RW compatibility.£299-where is is that cheap by golly??

3. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I understand your problem - I too took a Tosh X32 back because of media reading problems (although it took a while for these problems to announce themselves).

Thanks to understanding people at Richer Sounds, I swapped for 420S, and am more than happy with it. Has read and recorded to everything that has been put in it - have now mastered over 100 discs without any 'coasters'.

However, no automatic chapter insert a la Toshiba, unless you are copying at a different frame rate from the original recording or recording directly to DVD-R (in which case chapter points are inserted every 10 mins, I think). If dubbing at high speed (same resolution as recording), then you have to insert chapter marks manually. Can be done quite easily using the Commercial Skip function and the chapter mark button, but not a patch on the way the Tosh operates with chapters.

Have no experience of the E85, but if it works like the E55 (which I had and exchanged for the Tosh), then chapters also have to be inserted manually, unless dubbing at different frame rate or recording directly to DVD-R. This was using DVD-Ram - I suspect the functions on the HDD would be similar.

All that said, I don't regret the change, and am very happy with the Pioneer recorder.

Hope this helps

4. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds M/K. (price matching the website £299 with the shop price of £369)

Thanx Barzo. If only I could put the Pioneer drive (107D) in the XS32!

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    The Panasonic E85 offers the better recording picture quality - including upto 3 hours at full resolution per DVDR - so that would be my choice between the two. Editting is similar between the two units although the Panasonic employs a few tricks to ensure frame accurate editting whereas the Pioneer doesn't.

I assume you have looked at connectivity (420 has no component/progressive scan), supported formats (E85 has no DVD-RW, 420 has no DVD-RAM) and other issues (E85 won't play JPEGs or WMA, 420 won't play DVD-Audio).

6. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Tricks, eh? The Pioneer does have frame accurate editing - it is a choice in the menu. Have yet to see any pauses or hiccups on edits when using this the mode, so I'm guessing it does what it says.

7. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the 'mode' you talk about -VR or video?

I don't need progressive scan but notice that the Pioneer lacks an extra S-video input at the back of the machine. I am using Sky+ and Panasonic Tuct 30.

I like the fact that I could remove the drive from the 420 and upgrade the firmware by connecting to an IDE on my PC or possibly swapping the drive full stop. (I have a 107d and 108d in my desktop PC).

I'm leaning towards the Pioneer.............

8. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    -VR, I think, as I'm talking about edits made on the hard drive. I've yet to edit a DVD-RW. All chapters and edits are preserved, however, when high speed dubbing to DVD-R.

[/QUOTE]I don't need progressive scan but notice that the Pioneer lacks an extra S-video input at the back of the machine.[/QUOTE]

Yes - an annoying oversight. Tosh X32 also misses this out. 10/10 to Panasonic for connectivity.

[/QUOTE]I am using Sky+ and Panasonic Tuct 30.[/QUOTE]

Can one not loop through the other in RGB? Pannies usually have a passive RGB pass through, and I think the Tuct30 has two Scart sockets?

9. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the Tuct 30 has 2 scarts. I intend to go RGB from Sky+ to AV2 then RGB from Tuct 30 to S-Video input of..............er, only the Panny then. Don't fancy looping round to the front AV input of the Pioneer, so I need a Scart switch for the Pioneer inputs.

10. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    You'll need an RGB to S-Video converter then.

11. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got one already from Maplin for my widescreen lcd PC monitor thanks. Just got to make the choice now! Panny or Pio.........

12. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Well I have an E85 so I'm biased. :)

13. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I'm biased re: 420, but do suggest you get the E85 also. Has the inputs you need, and is certainly an excellent machine. Who knows? Maybe one day soon you will need the prog scan connectors as well. I'd have faced a hard decision between the 420 and E85, but at the time I swapped my Tosh X32, RS did not stock the E85.