1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 710 vcr - tape library query

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ridcully, Feb 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have the Panasonic NV-FJ710B VCR which has a tape library system. Anyone able to help on the following questions

1) Is it possible to totally remove a single tape from the library. The reason is that some tapes have been re used but the system did not recognise the tape before recordin over it a second time. There are therefore now two tape numbers for this tape, the first of which can not be used as the contents have been recorded over but it still shows in the library.
    2) Is it possible to re order the tapes ie change tape 01 to 60 etc

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Yes to the first question if it is the same as the 960, Will try the second later as it is in use at present.
    What I want to know if you tape a film and cut all the ads out, it shows separate programs in the library,
    can you combine them?

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

r.e. Panasonic's Tape Library system. This is what I've found it:-

1) You can not reorder tapes e.g. change Tape 14 to be Tape 19, or whatever.

2) There is no way of combining portions of a recorded programme into just one. The exception, is if you only Pause the tape whilst it is recording, to remove the ads, and then unpause it again, to continue the recording. However, many channels have ad-breaks that are borderline 5-6 minutes in length, and once the VCR has been paused for 5 minutes, it puts the tape into Stop mode, so you have to faff around pressing the Record button again!

3) There is also no way to actually stop the VCR from using this annoying system either! You either have to let the VCR see if it recognises the tape (or not), or else, simply suffer with having multiple programmes all in the wrong tape sequence in the Programme Library.

Putting it bluntly, the whole ideas a bit of a balls-up, to say the least!

Pooch

4. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Being a member of the DAV appreciation society, I am seriously considering starting one for this VCR, because this VCR is second only to my TIVO in how its changed my viewing habits.

It IS possible to delete tapes and tape contents you just press cancel. It asks you to confirm it by pressing ok, then press cancel again and ok again.

This seems relatively straight forward or am I missing a point somewhere?

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Couldn’t agree more.
    If you record something then eject the tape then put it back, you will find the tape has moved forwards, on a blank tape or an old one recorded on an other machine this will then, falsely recognised as a new tape this you possibly end up with 100 tapes in your library when you only have 25.
    What’s more very few digital stations carry teletext, so you will end up with a library with the input number (unless you put your own labels in yourself).

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Does anyone actually record to tape these days, with the intention of keeping the stuff?.

I've had a pana 675 for a couple of years now, and find the tape library system an absolute gem, with no problems at all.

Only fault i can find, is recording off sky, i get the input channel 'AV2' as the programme name (as described by Garrett). But i guess this problem lies with sky & its teletext format (or lack of it). - btw - anyone know a way around this?

Dean