Panny 700 - another issue - no more space!

garjobo

Standard Member
Hello good people

Having purchased a while back the expensive Panny 700 complete with it's virtually un-editable AVCHD 180/50 footage....Unless you know of a decent video package which is out there?? Do you???? Please tell me before i lose my marbles!

My big question is this though - gone are the days of lovely tapes, im using SD cards and the 32 builtin memory...problem is...i have already used up this memory..hence am downloading to the supplied Panny software ( which as has been mentioned on here aint great! ) but im downloading and then deleleting my original footage so i can record some more...

..Hopefully my hardrrive doesnt pack up!

..Question: Came to downloading my footage again to pc, to free up space on camcorder...but my PC says..No....not enough memory on the selected folder. Ie, C:folders/user ..etc

SO - I cant believe ive already used up my 500gb harddrive!!! ( with about 3hrs or so of footage!! perhaps a little more )....surely not!! Can i save to another 'folder' - ??? please let me know how ...or do i have to buy another harddrive???

thanks for the help

Chelters

Is your current hard drive partitioned? is there D: or E: for example.
Open 'Windows Explorer' and click on 'My computer' this should show you what drives you have, how big they are and how full they are.

3 hours of 1080/50p will not fill a 500GB drive on it's own.
My laptop has a 300GB drive, partitioned into 3 virtual drives, one for media which so far has around 16 hours of video, many photo's and even more MP3s and has 127GB free from the 244GB available.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Sorry if I admit to being confused....not an expert on Pana, but I believe you have a decent m/c there, despite the -ve talk on some Threads.

Tape is all but dead..... SDHC is quickly taking over ( and will soon surpass tape on price.) ... but it's far better IMHO on use - you can't overwrite cherished Stuff.... and it's ffar more convenient, having no need for electric motors and huge batteries to drive them.

AVCHD is about 8G/hr, so there is no way your few shots can be 500G...more likely you've mis-keyed something and the disc is full of something you don't need.
1) Check the PC disc tools, Choose Drive, check Properties - it puts up a colour disc showing usage/free space.
(this should confirm if the disc is full. Then you have to find out "what")

I'm surprised you are using the internal memory - that should be considered as a fast-buffer - because it needs the USB-lead to download to PC. Whereas using SDHC card means you can copy directly via those Mem-slots in front of many PC's. So I wonder if you've filled the internal memory, that it has no room to move data out? You might have to delete a few duplicated /unsteady/so-so shots (Yeah maybe only good ones, then).
Then try the supplied USB lead and software.

- However, I think using several 16G SDHC cards is better, but others (here), may have alternative views.

garjobo

Standard Member
Thank you for listening to my rants and taking the time to reply.

Did as suggested ( re my other threads as well ), checked what hard disk space i have using properties etc...

Surprisingly, it says,packard bell c: I have literally nothing left, all blue aside from a thin purple strip - it says, 290 gb i have left 1.25gb.

Now, i know nothing re computers ..but this is a 500gb drive?? I also have a data d: drive ( it says ) and on this, i have left, 291gb of 291gb.

SO - is this..normal? and can i use this data d: space? If so how? to change all my footage to save onto d:?

For the record, on my newish computer - i have about 2000 pics, and probably 4 hours perhaps a little more..or less..of video ( of the 1080/50 quality ). But that aside, very little else in way of programmes etc.

Also what was mentioned was my using my panny camcorder - internal memory, the 32bit i think that it came with. Now, sd cards are expensive..hence just been using internal memory..should i continue to use this or best buy more, expensive sd cards..talking about £20 a shot for 45min or so.

Thanks again for any advice.

Chelters

Now, i know nothing re computers ..but this is a 500gb drive?? I also have a data d: drive ( it says ) and on this, i have left, 291gb of 291gb.

SO - is this..normal? and can i use this data d: space? If so how? to change all my footage to save onto d:?

Yes, in fact this is where you should be saving it.
Now I don't/won't use the Pany writer software, so do not know how it works but it is not needed.

First double click on D: this should give you a file list (perhaps there are no files) on the right hand payne.
right click on the right hand payne to give a menu, towwards the bottom of the menu is "New Folder" or siimilar, click on that.
A new folder is created and will be highlighted, whilst it's like this give it a name ("Video" perhaps).

Now double click on your new "Video" folder to open it, another empty right hand payne!
Right click and create a new folder again and name it, perhaps family. create as many new folders in the "Video" folder as you see fit - one for every type of film you do or one for every new film project, it's up to you!

I advise you to remove the SD card from the camera, pop it into a card reader. With windows explorer again and you will now have 3 drives displayed, the later should be your SD card. double click on it to reveal the directory structure and drill down through PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM Where you will find the MTS video files.

Select the top one, hold the shift key and select the last one, they should all be highlighted now. Depress the left mouse button, but do not release it, whilst the mouse hovers over the highlighted files.

Now drag them all over to your D:\video\family\ folder and release the left mouse button.
They will then copy. Once they have copied you may then want to format the SD card ready for re-use.

Sorry if that is over simplified but you said you know little about computers.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Chelters

Also what was mentioned was my using my panny camcorder - internal memory, the 32bit i think that it came with. Now, sd cards are expensive..hence just been using internal memory..should i continue to use this or best buy more, expensive sd cards..talking about £20 a shot for 45min or so.

I carry two 16gb SD's, I've only had the need to use one so far but I don't want to get caught out one day (I have the SD700, no internal memory).

As has been suggested, set your cam to record to the card and use the internal memory ONLY when the card if full.
Get in the habbit of transferring everything over to your PC before the SD card gets anywhere near full. Then you'll not need to use the internal memory, wont need to USB download and best of all not use the HD Writter software. :)

12harry

Distinguished Member
I'm with Chelters, Do use SDHC cards 2-hrs is 16G at £17...

What still confuses me is the description of yr drive space. I read this as having two drive-letters for one physical drive. C+D.
PCs are often set this way to have a "spare" copy of the OS+settings. Sometimes call "Restore", so if you muck up yr PC, you have a clean "spare" on D - but you say it's completely clear.
Normally the PC programs are on C. with a smaller drive-letter D for spare. "Windows" should be on C, by convention.
It baffles me how one should work this, as some programs hanker back to the time when slow HDDs meant the data had to be close to the program (to achieve any performance). However, ypu don't appear to have used D at all.
Your 291G appears to be an unused partition, Yr drive letter D.
I suspect yr supplier expected you to use this area for yr Data-files, i.e. whenever you "Save As"
Presumably you weren't told to Save to D...? You could try saving some Notepad scriblings (to D:/) to check this, but unless there are many 100's pages, it will hardly show on the "Disc-Graphic" as you described.

At least you now have some idea of what yr PC's up to.
Although I'm concerned that the C-drive appears to be full.....surely this is wrong...? You need free space to perform "Swaps" - something the PC uses when shifting stuff about.

However, for serious Video-work, it may soon be time to buy an external drive (with mains PSU), USB connect to yr PC and this could add 1TB for something over £50. Fortunately you can buy these from an on-line supplier (or at a Computer Fair), which is far cheaper than a dealer, or PC World.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Chelters

I'm with Chelters, Do use SDHC cards 2-hrs is 16G at £17...

50p = 70 minutes on 16GB by my experience

What still confuses me is the description of yr drive space. I read this as having two drive-letters for one physical drive. C+D.

Partitioning the drive, you can have up to four main partitions and each of them can be made into a "logical drive" that can be further partitioned into virtual drives so you can hve C: through to Z: if you desire.

PCs are often set this way to have a "spare" copy of the OS+settings. Sometimes call "Restore", so if you muck up yr PC, you have a clean "spare" on D - but you say it's completely clear.

A restore partition is normally hidden and is prior to C:

12harry

Distinguished Member
Chelters, I wasn't starting a discussion on PC partitioning practice, rather trying to explain in simple terms what the OP should have asked, if he'd known enough.

I use 1920 x 1080i and that's almost 2hrs on a 16G card. If the Pana needs more space, the Hbk will give details. (but thanks for that extra Info). I believe we are agreed he should use SDHC cards, rather than the internal memory....

Can you give an Opinion on the details as supplied by garjobo ( #4 )? I think another look at this might help him, as it is something of a puzzle as garjobo has stated. For example who set-up D-partition and omitted to explain its use?
Why is the C-partition full?

...Thanks...

Chelters

Can you give an Opinion on the details as supplied by garjobo ( #4 )? I think another look at this might help him, as it is something of a puzzle as garjobo has stated. For example who set-up D-partition and omitted to explain its use?
Why is the C-partition full?

...Thanks...

I'm sure the D: partition was set up by the computer supplier. Did the PC come with a manual, it may be mentioned in it.

Why the C: drive is full? well it could be many things but first off I'd advise garjobo to copy all his documents to the D: drive. I'd assume they are in "my documents".

Secondly find a folder called "Temp" and delete everything in there - Some things may not delete because they are a part of the current session.

Got a folder called "Downloads"? Then delete everything (that you don't need) from there.

A good tool is Ccleaner it can find many other things, but costs.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom