Panny 7 series and xbox360 - can I get HD throught the VGA input?

Sword

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to get an xbox 360 for use with my panny 7 series 42PHD7 and have a couple of quick q's please...

1) What's the latest regarding HD compatability and the 7 series?
2) Will I be able to get HD out of the xbox by plugging it into the available VGA slot on the 7 series?

Thanks very much :)

Sword

Providing you use the xbox360 VGA cable. PW7 can't use a component feed through its on board VGA. You can set the resolution to what looks best to you. Refer to your manual for supported resolutions.

Hi all,

I'm looking to get an xbox 360 for use with my panny 7 series 42PHD7 and have a couple of quick q's please...

1) What's the latest regarding HD compatability and the 7 series?
2) Will I be able to get HD out of the xbox by plugging it into the available VGA slot on the 7 series?

Thanks very much :)

Sword

Yep but it won't look great, I've yet to see a panny running VGA from xbox that looks good, component is the way forward if you are looking for ultimate pic quality.

cheers

Thanks ever so much for your replies so far guys ...

Now, I'm pretty much a novice here so please bear with me.

So what you're saying is that I need to get a component card for my Panny 7 and use the xbox 360 compnent leads - and that that will enable me to view in HD - with sound of course going to my audio system.

Does this go for games only or will I be able to watch hd dvds also?

Do you have any links or info on exactly what component card I should be buying?

ta again,
Sword

You need one of these. But you will have to phone around Richer Sounds shops to get it for that price.

Staggering mate - thanks VERY much. I owe you a long cool pint of milk for that little snippet of info!

I have one on reserve and will be taking receipt of it shortly (the board that is, not the pint of milk)!

Thanks again,
Sword

You need one of these. But you will have to phone around Richer Sounds shops to get it for that price.

You will be able to feed your PW7 with a Hi Def signal which it will display very well. I have a PW6 which I use with an xbox 360. I use a component board..the same one you have been shown.. and run the xbox at 1080i. I tried it at 720P as well and to be honest they both look very good. It just shows you that more pixels doesn't necessarily mean a better picture.

I presume you are referring to the x box HD DVD player which will work as above. I haven't tried this yet but should be good. Probably better with a PH9 though. But I can't justify an upgrade just for the small amount of Hi Def material I want to watch.

Great news - ta.

And I read in another thread that component is defo the way to go to get sky HD (when/if I do) to work on the panny 7's.

Oh, this forum is a great place indeed!

Sword

ps - my Wii has arrived in Game !!!!! So I'm gonna trade in my xbox bits and bobs for the wii for the kids - then go and grab a 360 in the Jan sales or on ebay - for the big kid ;-)

Surprisingly ... my 360 hasn't been touched by this big kid since the Wii arrived. Fantastic machine. I am about to pick up GoW though so that may change in the next 2 hours ;)

gpa - I've used VGA on the xbox and thought it was ok - needed to adjust it to avoid being completely washed out but I think I got it looking better than component in the end.

Orwella, you is a fantastic fella!

Picked up the Board from RS today - they had it sent from the Stockport branch, love 'em! 9.99 and I'm now component enabled, yea!

Anyone, can I ask a really dumb question about component leads please?

1. Is it possible to get extenders so that one can then plug either a wii or else an xbox component cable without having to reach behind/under the screen? Or will that degrade the signal?
  2. Do I need to get a component-to-composite converter that will send the sound from my component leads into the composite sound input on the front of my AV receiver?

ta - and sorry for being so dumb!

Sword

Yeah you can get switchers, spend a few quid (40+) and you shouldn't have any pic quality issues. I think joytech have released an ok one which rather naffly looks like a mini360.

The xbox has an optical out for the sound, near the box at the console end of the lead.
The Wii, you need to extend the 2 phono leads which are annoyingly (afaik since I haven't managed to get hold of one yet) moulded quite close to the 3phonos for the picture. I guess if you get a switcher, you could reduce that problem.

Thanks ever so!

Could anyone post a link for a switcher? Else I'll just end up buying the wrong one off ebay ...

ta, :hiya:
Sword

Actually 1080p looks pretty good too, so check the resolution the game is encoded in. Most are 720, some are now 1080. Least number of scaling operations the better. HD-DVD use 1080p, so you'll be changing res a few times I guess.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom