1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 VS Hitchi 400E

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gchild, Aug 22, 2003.

1. gchild

gchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Between the Panny 6 and the Hitachi 400E, any opinions on which one would I be better off buying?

Ill be running it mostly for DVDs off a Denon DVD-2900.

Also, does the progressive scan make a big difference on the Panny screen?

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    the best thing you can do is see them side by side ive got the hitachi 400e i didnt like the flicker on the panasonic.some people notice it some dont thats why its best getting a demo.the hitachi is only £2500 which is a good price i think the panasonic is £500 more.also because the panasonics blacks are so black were there should be detail there isnt because they are so black.like a crease in a jacket the crease wont be there.

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gchild,

Seriously, out of those two you should opt for the Panasonic 6, no question about it.

Firstly the Panasonic is a progressive display, however you cut it it, progressive is the entire picture frame in one go, interlaced (as Hitachi) is not - progressive is better.Your going to use it with a Denon 2900. There is no benefit to a PS player with an interlaced panel, certainly not one to factor into a decision IMHO.

Secondly the Hitachi does not offer any future proofing for various digital inputs. The Panasonic does. All digital is the way things are going, also copy protected digital inputs (HDCP-DVI) and HDMI will become essential for optimal viewing. You will be covered with the Panansonic, not with the Hitachi.

Thirdly Hitachi are releasing their E-ALiS panels at the end of the year, The Panasonic on the other hand is brand spanking new. The new Hitachis E-ALiS are meant to display progressivly (via some jiggery / pokery). Now if an interlaced panel was that good, why would they improve on it by making it progressive ????.

Finally resolution, this is a whole other thread !. Buy the Panasonic in my opinion, but do go and view first to see what you think.

Tony

4. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gchild,

I have not mentioned the Video processing comparison between the two panels.

Panasonic

10 Bit Processing
    30 Bit Colour Depth
    Excess Of 1 Billion Colours
    4000:1 Contrast ratio

Hitachi

8 Bit Processing
    24 Bit Colour Depth
    16.77 Million Colours
    1000:1 Contrast Ratio

For true a true HD panel (as true as you can get in the size) you will need to spend more I opted for the Pioneer 433MXE, this particular panel is due to be replaced March 2004. Though the new Pioneer 434HDE is imminent. Then there is the Panasonic TH-42PHD6, again imminent.

5. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    the only thing to do is see them yourself and i think you will choose the hitachi

6. gchild

gchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is a good place I can see both of these in action? I live SW London although I will be in Glasgow this weekend

7. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    gchild

Just to clarify on andya's input - I'm guessing Andy viewed the Panasonic PWD5 which did flicker and I certainly found it annoying - the new PWD6 does not suffer from this 'feature'.

The progressive 2:2 and 2:3 pulldown reconstruction in your Denon 2900 is going to outperform the processor in the PWD6 - the PWD6 will see that the incoming video stream has already been processed and not try to re process it; though keep in mind the PWD6 processor is going to be a benefit with any of your interlaced video sources.

I'd certainly have a PWD6 in preference to the Hitachi!

Best regards

Joe

9. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    andya,
    I understand your preference if you are comparing against the series-5 panasonic.
    But I saw the hitachi the other day with a sky feed, I don't know what the problem is but it does'nt handle it as well as the panasonic.
    I saw the panasonic-6 and the difference was almost (IMO) like comparing RGB with non-RGB. On the panasonic check out text - it's quite clearly defined compared to the hitachi, and check the sky red dot !

That said, I saw the hitachi playing DVD's the other day and it was very impressive, also bear in mind that you will not see anything better for £2,500 - £3,000.

Steve.:)

10. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216

I've got the Hitachi 42 pma400e,and i can tell you watching sky on the Hitachi is really good, when i watch the vault on a sat i'ts almost 3D!.
    I'll go as far as to say it's better than my old Tosh 32" WS CRT.

As for DVD'S.......amazing :D

The Hitachi black level is good but can't match the panny.

Value for money you can't beat the Hitachi :)

dvd

11. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    dvd has got it in one value for money and thats what you get with the hitachi 400e