1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lovegroova, Sep 24, 2003.

1. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I am taking delivery of a Panny 6 on Saturday and was wondering if I need to do any further setup other than that included on my 'Ultimate DVD Platinum' setup disk which includes: Brightness, Contrast, Purity, Geometry, Convergence, Chroma, Hue, Clamp, and Sharpness, and a little blue strip (for the hue and chroma IIRC)?

I will be connecting my NTL cable (RGB) and S-VHS (S-video) via SCART, and my DVD via component YUV.

Thanks

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    geometry and convergence huh? don't forget to position it using a good compass to make the best use out of Earth's magnetic field.
    I loved mine out of the box. Just changed brightness and contrast using THX dvd. Will get Grodon to calibrate the greyscale after my wallet has recovered and the phosphors have burnt a bit. People say every source needs to be calibrated separately so setup DVD will only do for that particular DVD player through that particular input.

3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Very funny! I just copied that sentence from the Amazon description without looking at the details!

Now, can anyone else help?

4. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    make sure u disable all screen saving settings. pw5 was pretty good when it came to screen burn and panasonic claims pw6 is even better. wobble can be annoying (it shifts the picture by a few pixels every now and then) but worst of all is limiting average brightness of the screen (don't remember wot they call it), but what it does is it limits the overall amount of light that can come out of the screen, so if you have lots of darks the highlights are bright and when you have lots of bright stuff it becomes very dim so that the average brightness is same, you can literally see the screen readjust the brightness as a large object moves out of the screen. make sure these are off.

5. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm taking delivery of the PWD6 either tomorrow or Monday, where can I get a copy fo this 'DVD set up' disk, will this have the recommened settings to reduce screen burn or do you guys have other ideas for this?? I've read in other threads that the contrast should be turned down or something?!

Screen burn has been putting me off buying a plasma for ages but I've finally taken the plunge, so any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pannies are very strong when it comes to screen burn, so you can disable all the screen saver option with video for home use unless you are planning to stare at SKY news or Bloomberg for 10hrs a day. It does become important if you are ocnnecting PC because you are bound to static images there.