1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 & S-Video Connection Query

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AFC, Sep 29, 2004.

1. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, can any of you help a newbie please? - I got my new 42" Panny TH-42PW6 series display delivered the other week & it came with an S-Video board instead of the scart which I was expecting. Not a problem I thought cos my plan was to connect my equipment as follows:

Sony DAV S550 DVD player - with component video out(Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr) with progressive scan, s-video, composite, optical digital in, audio/video jacks in, audio/video jacks out.....NO SCARTS! - Connected via component out to VGA port on my display, no converter but just component to VGA HDTV cable. Very happy with this.

Sky + receiver - with scart to TV, scart to video, optical digital out - Connected via S-Video out on Sky+ to S-Video board on plasma. It seems very good but slight picture distortion on fast panning from things like football or when text scrolls across the screen.

Audio is from Sky+ digital optical out to digital optical in on the Sony DAV S550 which has the Dolby 5.1 speakers attached. Again, I'm very pleased with the result of this.

Now then, I'm wondering if I can improve the picture from my Sky+ box or if I'm being over critical ie is S-Video really that bad or am I expecting too much from my equipment?!

To add another little problem into the melting pot, I have already hung my plasma on the wall and chased the wires into the wall, plastered and painted back up again. I know, I got over excited and wanted all my equipment up and running so I could admire it. :clown: Therefore, I would be reluctant to chase any more wires into the wall which probably means a reluctance to purchasing any further boards for the plasma but I'm not adverse to buying some kind of switcher/convertor box as long as it will be a noticeable difference.

My line of thinking at the moment would be a device whereby I could plug in my Sky+ box via scart (I presume scart is better than S-Video?) and plug in my DVD via component and this device would have a component output so I could send the signal to my plasma via my component to VGA HDTV cable. Like I say, I don't need to worry about sound at all, that's already taken care of.

Is there such a device around, is there another solution or am I looking for utopia after shelling out for my plasma :lease:

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help out on this one :lease:

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I'd say you wouldn't see a huge improvement between s-video and rgb scart. I'd say invest in component board for the TV and a scart to component convertor that you'll get (probably) the best (highest quality) connection to your TV. Make sure you get an RGB scart cable and set the sky+ to RGB as well.

Not sure how you'd test this without investing some more pennies...

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    AFC

Three possible solutions we supply on a day to day basis - though its going to cost a fair few quid for either set up:

Option A -approx £400:
    1 x JS Technology RGB2YUV converter.
    1 x set of YUV cables
    1 x Zektor HDS4 YUV switcher (programmed to switch in tandem with your DAV S550 system.

That'll give you up to 4 YUV sources ( Progressive and/or Interlaced) switched seamlessly via the installed 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable.

Option B - around £650:
    1 x JS Technology RGB2YUV converter.
    1 x set of YUV cables
    1 x DVDO iScan Ultra Deinterlacer

The iScan Ultra gives you the option of inputting Composite, S-Video and YUV Interlaced signals and outputting Progressive YUV signals over the installed 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable.

Option C - £950:
    1 x DVDO iScanHD Deinterlacer/Scaler

The iScanHD gives you the option of inputting Composite, S-Video and RGB or YUV Interlaced signals and outputting Progressive Scaled YUV signals over the installed 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable.

Any questions please shout.

Joe

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215