Panny 6 Returned-advice replacement needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by reckless, Mar 7, 2004.

1. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've returned my panny 6 and tuner to JL as I can see it flicker when predominantly white images are displayed.

The problem is that ideally, I want a screen with a separate tuner/media box (must have analogue as no digital in my area). Firstly, I've seen the pioneer which doesn't flicker but I'm not convinced about the lack of black.

Are there any others that don't flicker with a separate media box? Also, There appears to be a new range of sonys out. Does anyone know anything about them or if they would be suitable.

Thanks for any input.

2. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I think the Hitachi's have a seperate tuner box. When it comes down to the choices between the brands. Panasonic, Hitachi and Pioneer are generally the ones favoured by this forum. Having seen all three and the Sony, I would say if you have had a Panasonic you may be disappointed by the Sony.

3. mikedown

mikedown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the new nec xm2 (i think) or fujitsu (vha ,hha) are worth a look too.

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks, I'd not really considered the Hitachi as there appeared to be a number of posts about the grey misty area that seems to appear on a number of the screens. I'd decided on the Panny over the pioneer because of the black issue but it was only once I was able to see the screen at home that I realised how much I could see flicker. The thing is, I'd seen the panny loads of times before purchasing and I couldn't see the flicker in the stores and I'm afraid that whatever I replace it with may have similar issues. I'm really disappointed to be honest as I'd been waiting ages to get a plasma. My wife and daughter are also more than a little disappointed as they loved the screen and couldn't see what the problem was.

I know the old Sonys are not supposed to be anywhere near as good as the panny but I was just wondering if the new range was supposed to be any better. I suppose it's still early days but I was hoping that as we have so many knowledgeable people on the forum one of them might have seen the screens early or have an indication if they had addressed the previous areas of concern such as lack of tolerance of anything other than perfect signals.

I thought the Fujitsu used panny screens? or am I mixing them up with another manufacturer. I don't know of any NEC screens in my area but I'll have a check to see. Anyway, thanks for all your comments.

5. mikedown

mikedown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NEC - brand monitors are made completely by NEC. NEC has its own plasma screen glass factory and uses its own processing boards and chips.

Panasonic - Owns own glass factory as well as engineering its own internal components.

Fujitsu - Owns 50% of a plasma screen glass factory with Hitachi in Kyushu, Japan. Though Fujitsu buys some of the internal components (chipsets), produces most of the internal component boards.

Pioneer - Owns its own plasma screen glass plant and produces most all boards and chips internalized in the plasma monitor.

Sony - Makes their own boards and chips but uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi plasma screen glass.

Hitachi - Owns 50% of plasma screen factory with Fujitsu. Makes own internal components.

Philips - Uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi glass screen and most internal components as well. However, Philips makes its own bezel with built in speakers.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    Hello all

mikedown:
    You'll need to try and keep up with movements in the Plasma market :) NEC Plasma is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Pioneer Plasma (though we have still to see this reflected in either model line ups).

Fujistu/Hitachi produce the ALIS glass panels used in many of the Fujitsu models - though any Fujitsu models you see with 852x480 pixels are using Panasonic glass.

reckless:
    If you can live without Teletext and possibly include a programmable remote in the system why not go with the 42" HD Panasonic display + a decent quality Panasonic SVHS deck; as the analogue tuner in the SVHS deck will be no worse than the one in the Media Box you just got rid of.

The Panasonic HD Display uses a different (better) screen driver system to the SD Display and does not suffer from the full field flicker some pick out on the SD unit.

Best regards

Joe

7. mikedown

mikedown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oops sorry i nicked that info off another thread :eek:

8. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I like my Panasonic HD display, it also seems not to have some of the minor problems I have seen on the Pioneer, whilst not appearing to flicker and having no 'screen door' effect as the pixels are smaller due to the high-res.

The main problem is price once you've added in input slots.

IMO it has given me the best picture I've ever seen from Sky+ which is an achievement.

Steve