1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 query for idiot......

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by baseborn, Aug 31, 2004.

1. baseborn

baseborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before i start, i'm gonna ask that you explain this to me like a five year old child.....cos i'm getting really confused by reading all the other threads on here!

I want to buy a Panasonic TH-42PWD6 Plasma from AVSales, now i get one 'free' terminal board and there are several additional boards available at an extra fee.

If I want to connect the following things, which it the best route to take?
    I'm gonna connect the whole thing up to some kind of audio system - i'm currently deciding on this also, so any advice gratefully received!

So - PS2, Pioneer DV-575A-S (prog scan), Amp, VCR, freeview box (as tuner)

The VCR isn't too important, but i'd also like to be able to connect my PC, and it seems as though i can do this thru the vga connector? or would i be better not bothering and using this for an alternative source??
    And what cables etc will i need?

Please help me cos i'm going insane!!

Oh and what is the difference between the BNC & RCA component boards apart from 30 quid!

Thanks in advance

Tom

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    prog scan you need the component board
    for freeview and maybe VCR you need the RGB SCART board, and the panasonic SCART board is not very good so get the RGB SCART plasma to VGA converter from AV-Sales instead of the panny SCART board. you will need a vga cable at £5 from ebuyer.co.uk
    RCA connectors are the same as phono audio connectors
    BNC connectors are a higher quality and more "secure" connection (they twist to lock on) and usually cost far more

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd start by considering your audio system, cos most AV amps offer video switching. Some offer video upconversion too, which is nice, as they say. Guessing your freeview box is RGB or S-video like most, you could connect this via scart, along with the VCR just like you do with a conventional TV. The with a £250-£300 AV amp, like a Yamaha RXV540, you can switch 2 component video sources, so you can connect your DVD player, and the PS2 with a component kit for £25 ish, and put your PC on the VGA input to finish. That's about the best VFM solution for your stuff, but can of course be improved on if you spend more, like always. Whilst the scart board is not the most brilliant device Panasonic have ever made, it's no way as bad as it seems to be painted here, I have one in my PWD6, though mostly I use it just for picture in picture, that's cos I use a scaler. So you'll want a scart board, and a component board. BNC connectors are the correct impedance for video signals, and should be used if you have high aspirations. RCA connectors need to be a very tight fit, as the cable hangs off them vertically. Re plugging the cable 1/2 way through eastenders does wind the wife up something rotten.

4. garyN

garyN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was going to get a viera but after reading some pretty negative posts have opted for a silver panny6,from av sales and an armload of extras.fingers crossed i made the right choice

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

I bought my Panny TH42-PWD6EX (another family member) with a yuv BNC board because they had no board with phono sockets. They gave me adapters to phono with it, works fine.
    The Panny 6 series has an excellent picture, but if somewhere in the back of your mind the thought of digital video (dvi/hdmi) is lurking I'd go for a Pioneer because the Panny dvi board has issues in PAL.
    Barend