1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 or Hitachi 42PMA400E

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dgw29, Oct 12, 2003.

1. dgw29

dgw29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read the whole forum, I think, and thought I had decided on the Panasonic TH-42PW6B with a scart board, onto which I can hang my Sky+, and Sony DVD in a daisychain fashion. until I then find the Hitachi 42PMA400E, which has a higher resolution, and accordingly, according to some, a better picture.

Its a close thing, but my burning question is to the fact that the Hitachi seems to have only one S-video input, what is that all about? What kind of functionality does that give me, or am I missing something?

The comments I've read tend to say that the best picture with a Sky+ box is RGB (although it has a S-video output, as does my Sony DVD).

Is the answer to scart my DVD through my Sky+, and have an S-video cable to the Hitachi- but isn't that inferior to a scart RGB?

And I thought buying a plasma screen would be a pleasure!!

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The Hitachi 400E can take 4 discrete inputs.
    IMO, a good configuration is to use 3 inputs as "Component" eg DVD (if it's got a component output), Freeview and $ky (via JS RGB to component convertors) and leave the fourth as an "S" input for VCR use.
    This configuration also makes good use of the PIP split screen functions.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't forget the Hitachi can also take RGB + synch, which is a cheap and good way of getting RGB into the screen. With so many inputs, you can afford to use one up like that, and still make use of PinP, though personally I prefer to simplify things with converters and video switching on my amp. The Hitachi and Panny need to be seen together to decide, they are different to look at.