Panny 6 or 434HDE?

V5-APS

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the position to get either.....my other components are the Pioneer 868Ai and AX5i reciever, so would use HDMI on 434 or component on PW6. It is one or the other (not the PHD Panny's).

Only things making me hesitant re. the 434HDE are that the blacks do look so good on the PW6's i've seen (watch Star Wars or Star Trek), but on the 434HDE they are definately grey......especially annoying when watching with bars top/bottom. Also, the stories re. screen burn....the Panny's seem more resilient.....

Can anyone who has played with the numerous settings comment on if they can get anywhere close to the Panny??

Thanks

You won't get blacks anywhere near Panny levels on a Pio screen but then that gives benefits in other areas. Pannys look fantastic but there is often very little detail in the black areas hence you will be losing loads of info. From all the demos I saw I chose the 504HDE knowing blacks are not as good but in other areas it excels.

Demo time :)

Ditto...you need to demo and see which overall image is best to your eyes...

I considered both and went for the Panny as the image appeared much cleaner without the noise and grain that the 434 appears to have.

Both are great screens with quite different picture styles.

JJ

P.S. you also need to consider the £1-1.5k difference in price...maybe waiting for the 434MXE would be good????

How much difference is HDMI likely to make on the Pioneer as opposed to Component on the Panny ??

Originally posted by V5-APS
How much difference is HDMI likely to make on the Pioneer as opposed to Component on the Panny ??

I think it does make an improvement but you have to ask yourself how much you are going to be watching DVD`s and how much normal TV ?

I picked the Panny 6 partly on the fact when watching normal TV (Sky, Freeview) the picture was smoother than the Pioneer and also my viewing is about 80/20 in favour of normal TV ?

Can the HDE models be used at all without the media box then ??

No. But go demo one and you may wonder why you would ever want to :)

I have a PW6 at home right now, but have the option to get the 434HDE if i want....went and demo'd one today.....I did see some grainy images, even from dvd, but some of the images were awesome using the HDMI port. Why oh why can't Panasonic pull their fingers out and bring a decent HDMI card out for the PW6 series :(

I had the the benefit of an extensive demo on the 434 today in JL Solihull from a Pioneer sales guy that was there.

I have to say that I was extremely impressed. He had hooked up one of the new Pio DVD recorders with only an RGB scart and the picture was excellent. Also did the digital camera memory card reader thing and that was pretty cool.

However did not see any SKY or terrestrial broadcast material today but have seen that before and it looked OK - although I am sure that it was not set up perfectly.

Having said all that the guy had me reaching for the credit card, especially when he said that they would price match vs another of £3999.00 in stand and speakers with the bonus of the 5 year guarantee, but bottled it and decided to wait. Seems like this could be the start of some price reductions with a bit of luck.

Now trying to convince .er indoors.

Cheers

Paul

Can you pm who the price match was with pls, inc.stand/speakers !!
Thanks

I'm itching to know who you price matched with too. Perhaps you could let us all know please.

No problem. The Pioneer sales guy in JL said that he could get a match against AV Land at £3999.00. I asked him if they were internet only and he said he wasn't sure. He then went off and got a JL guy and agreed the match in front of me.

When I got home I checked the AV Land web page and saw it was £3999.00 but without the stand and speakers. The JL match was with both and of course the 5 year warranty.

It just goes to show if your in the right place at the right time.

I am going to hang on now for a better deal.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Cheers

Paul

Have decided on the Panny 6 series.....i have looked at both plasmas over the past few days, but cannot justify the extra cost of the Pioneer. The difference in picture quality does not equal the higher price for me......also, the reviews may be great, but it is first of breed, with the HDMI....i will wait and see what develops. Thanks all. :)

V5-APS

That is what made up my mind. I ended up paying approx £1600 less than the Pioneer (which is also an excellent piece of kit) But as this HDMI is/was so new (couldn't even get a cable when I got my kit) the Panny seemed like a great buy.

Now in a couple of years time it won't be so painful when shifting the Panny 6 for the next upgrade.

Originally posted by blossom
No problem. The Pioneer sales guy in JL said that he could get a match against AV Land at £3999.00. I asked him if they were internet only and he said he wasn't sure. He then went off and got a JL guy and agreed the match in front of me.

When I got home I checked the AV Land web page and saw it was £3999.00 but without the stand and speakers. The JL match was with both and of course the 5 year warranty.

It just goes to show if your in the right place at the right time.

I am going to hang on now for a better deal.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Cheers

Paul

If Av-sales can't source me the pa-20 I've ordered, I'm giving serious thought to this deal here although, they're taking pre-orders for new stock.

434hde + speakers and choice of wall bracket or stand for £4k is a very good deal.

Deron

John Lewis will price match that deal and give you a five year warranty.

Cheers

Paul

Originally posted by blossom
Deron

John Lewis will price match that deal and give you a five year warranty.

Cheers

Paul

Do John Lewis do wall mounts?

Not sure but there was one on the wall in there yesterday being demo'd by the Pioneer sales guy.

Its worth giving them a call 0121 704 1121

The only problem you might have at the moment is that Home Cinema Heaven seem to be out of stock. I think JL will only match retailers who have the item in stock when you want to purchase.

Otherwise you might have to wait until stock is available then go to JL who would defimitely match that deal as they have premises and a showroom.

Best of Luck

Paul

I'll keep it in mind...

I'm very scared of screen burn and my 4 yr old loves the kiddie channels.

I'll see if the pa-20 shows up from av-sales first as they were offering an even better deal and from what I've seen of the Panny 6 it's bullet proof.

Got one at work on full brightness on sky news all day and it's still not burnt...

Deron

I'd turn it down a touch - a big touch; they are NOT bullet proof.

It'll fry if you dont look after it properly - if you have a PWD model it has programmable screen saver and timer functions - set them up ASAP.

Best regards

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Fernand
Deron

I'd turn it down a touch - a big touch; they are NOT bullet proof.

It'll fry if you dont look after it properly - if you have a PWD model it has programmable screen saver and timer functions - set them up ASAP.

Best regards

Joe

Yeah, I'll be careful with my one when it arrives. The pw6 is at work and is left on all day in the directors waiting room. I'm encouraged by the fact that it's abused so badly, yet cheerily carries on.

Has anyone on these forums ever reported screen burn on a Panny 6 or pa-20?

Deron,
At that price it may be rude not to get the 434 after all, if JL will Price match....i'll give them the chance !!

I don't mind hearing stories of companies having plasma's with burn in as they normally have static images on all day...

But screen burn stories of home users playing on a console for a couple of hours or children watching the disney channel for a bit scare the hell out of me:eek:

Have you come across any Panny 6/pa-20 screens in users homes that have burnt...? (please say no...)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom