1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 options via DVI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cj, Aug 17, 2004.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    A friend of mine has built a new room and embedded cables in the wall already - at the advice of his local shop he's used a DVI cable for a Panny PW6 plasma.

He's also got a Panasonic SC-HT37R, which I think has component, scart and svideo out.

My question is what's the cheapest way of getting the picture to the plasma via the DVI cable? Are the only options scaler based?

Thanks,

Colin

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    cj

Do you mean he's ONLY used a DVI cable - if YES go 'shoot' the guy who gave him that advice :)

I'd be billing the shop for the price of having a couple of runs of 5 core video, an S-Video and an RS2323 cable buried into the 'finished' wall.

A Lumagen VisionDVI at UK SRP of £800.00 is the lowest cost unit I can think of/provide that has support for multiple Video types (Composite, S-Video, YUV and RGB+C Component Analogue video and DVI or HDMI Digital Video) that's going to work in this instance - and I hope its a decent quality DVI cable that's been buried in the wall.

Drop me a note if you require more info on the VisionDVI - I have our Demo unit attached to my Pioneer PlasmaTV at 720P at present.

Best regards

Joe

3. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks Joe,

he says they sold him a rather expensive 10m DVI, so I'm hoping it's good enough. Are there any other options besides a Lumagen - he definitely wouldn't be happy with Beta software and wants it now not in a month or two.

What about the IScan Ultra - doesn't that have DVI out? He's not actually bought the plasma yet - is there a different plasma which doesn't have the 'DVI issues' of the PW6?

Thanks again,

Colin

4. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    It appears the shop sold him the cable with a view to connecting the Panasonic tuner box - I thought this used a proprietary Panasonic connection. My friend says the cable definitely has "DVI 24 Pin" writen on it. Is there any way the Panasonic cable would have this written on it? He's a bit far away for me to go and look myself.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Colin

I'll need to look into the Tuner Box to Screen cable - I've never used the Tuner; seeing it and its predecessors in action have always convinced me to steer clear :)

The Lumagen VisionDVI and DVDO iScanHD are both vying for your cash - with the iScanHD in addition to an SD to HD Video Processor you gain Digital Audio Delay and a sexier on-screen user interface (though for a novice its still a chore to get it set up - or that's the feedback from customers so far) with the VisionDVI you gain the ability to process HD as well as SD sources and the ability to process HDCP encoded Digital Video sources.

The Lumagen user interface will never be as sexy as the DVDO one so you don't get as much 'help' from the on screen menus; but once you know what your about its very quick to make changes.

The Lumagen Firmware may still be in Beta form (actually Phase Two Beta) but it is pretty stable and from what I've seen DVDO, Lumagen, PMS etc are all 'works in progress' as Source and Display technologies change then these companies are looking to provide a good degree of future proofing for potential owners.

I have both the DVDO iScanHD and Lumagen VisionDVI hooked to my demo kit and both do a great job.

You may want to hold off until the 7 Series units are launched - though I don't expect the DVI board to be any different from the current DVI board and I'm sure the HDMI board will not be for PC signals.

I'll try and find out more about that cable your mates had installed.

Best regards

Joe

6. stabilo

stabilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Joe

I have got a question about yout demo unit
    Is it a pio 434/504HDE
    I have a 434 HDE and i'm lucky with the DVD Picture but sky is poor
    How big is the improvment?
    Thanks for your answer

Thomas

7. oferlaor

oferlaor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if he's already got the tuner box hooked up, then what's the problem?

Just hook up the tuner on the other side of the "DVI cable" (many plasmas offer tuner boxes based on DVI or DVI-like connections) and connect your other sources to the tuner box.

Later on, you (or your friend) can hook up a scaler in its stead, and you're all set.

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Lumagen VisionDVI won't be out for another month or so, and given the usual delays in the industry I'll be happy to see Santa Claus wobble thru the first image if I buy it...
    Gonna do a search on the DVDO IScanPro, cause I never heard of it!
    Barend

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

oferlaor - but why spend £300+ on the Optional External Tuner when all it does is detract from the image quality of a very respectable display - and looses you the ability to connect a PC to the Display into the bargain.

And would you really pay £300+ for an Analogue TV tuner :)

stabilo - I use a PDP-504HDE as my day to day TV and viewing SKY+ via the iScanHD or Vision products is a revelation!!!

The same is true with the PDP-434HDE - which we also have here but two Plasma TV's for day to day use would be too much :)

Barend - the VisionDVI is available NOW with Beta Firmware (second release) - you don't have to wait on Santa!!!

Best regards

Joe