1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 - Hi-Spek deal

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Beefer, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Beefer

Beefer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, I would be very grateful if you could lend me your expert opinions. Came across this on the Hi-Spek site today, does this seem like a good deal?

PANASONIC TH42PWD6BX
    42" PLASMA DISPLAY BLACK
    £2899.88

PANASONIC PANASONIC TUPTA600B
    TELEVISION PLASMA TUNER
    Free of charge

PANASONIC PANASONIC TY42TM6H
    TUNER BOARD FOR TH42PW6
    Free of charge

I'm in the market for a plasma at this very moment and had virtually made my mind up on the new Pio-434HDE, but I did like the PW6 when I demo'd it at the Panansonic shop - only the connection issue put me off slightly.

Will I be dissapointed with the PQ using the tuner and end up buying an I-Scan or something and spending 4 grand anyway!

Cheers,
    Scott

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Only thing to keep in mind is if u use the tuner box in slot 1 slots 2-3 are not available.
    So if u want to use the dvi HDCP connection you have to take out the tuner and then inset the dvi input. (the pany has 3 slots at rear for different input boards)

This is a real pain. with the pio its a dead easy change but with the pany.

Still if u have no plan to get a dvi-hdmi dvd player then its not an issue.

Seems a good deal as the tuner normally cost £300

3. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using the tuner for TV, i would recommend buying a Pace Twin, 2 ditital tuner and hard disk recorder so can can watch one digital channel whilst taping another, may even allow you to get rid of VCR thus having one less connection.
    No real point in having analogue tuner into plasma screen IMHO.

That price seems a little expensive for tghe black model, i am sure i have seen better deals........although they won't include tuner.

4. Beefer

Beefer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure the tuner option is the right way to go. I do have Sky+ and as for a vcr, I havn't used one in eons.

The only reason I thought it would be good is to eliminate the connection issue if plasma is to be mounted on a wall.

I have read all the :eek: the threads on this subject but have not seen a conclusive answer to the keeping wires to a minimum and retaining the ultimate picture quality.

The Panny has the potential to be the cheapest option over the Pio 434, but can anybody put me out of my misery and suggest the best route for connecting the usual suspects to the Panny 6 i.e. Sky+/DVD prog scan/PS2/Aux RGB (video sender of something).

Any help would most appreciated.

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    im thinkin of gettin the 50ins version and to be honest one thing that hold me back from this model is conectivity.

Having ownd a pioneer i realy found the experience to be pain free easy.
    My panney is a bit of a pain as i didnt want the tuner box.

in the case of the pw6 i would definately not want the tuner box,
    but that means there arent realy enought inputs at rear to cater so yhat means pluggin in+out = Tedious

so the ease of the pioneer is defiately a plus and with hdmi already an option makes things easy

6. Beefer

Beefer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Part of me wishes that I'd never heard of the Pio 434 - I'd of been the proud owner of a Pio-433 by now and probably enjoying every minute :D

mid Nov seems a long way off !

Anybody help with my Panny question :confused:

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello Beefer

As you say the Pioneer PDP-434HDE has everything going for it - though at a higher price than the Display only models you are considering.

I'd avoid the TU-600B Tuner - its not a great match for the display; as you can see its so bad someone's giving them away :)

Strangely enough we've mostly sold the TH-42PWD6BX with no video boards installed - most customers either have or are contemplating a decent quality AV Amp to partner the Display and as many AV Amps now have YUV switching (and some have Composite and S-Video conversion to YUV) its simplest to use the AV Amp to switch your video sources.

So depending on what the rest of your kit is going to be you could potentially have one Component video cable running from a suitable AV Amp to the Plasma HD15 socket and everything else plugged to the AV Amp (if you wanted a PC connected in this scenario you would simply add a Component card to the plasma and run the Component cable to that board and a VGA cable for the PC to the HD15 socket).

Best regards

Joe

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    The only connection I have to my TV is an S-video cable and L/R phonos. Thats because its across the room from my AV equipment.

The only time I diverge from this is to use the analogue tuner for teletext.

Not had a problem so far, so I'm not too worried about connectivity to a plasma. At least until I get tempted with component inputs etc, but then I'm into component switching, and splitting (have a PJ to feed as well).

9. Beefer

Beefer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I did consider this route but I believe - and so do others on this forum - that this will not produce the best PQ (another link in the chain), especially with Sky being so inconsistent, do you agree?. I was considering buying a 3803 or AX5i anyway.

If I go down this route is it feasable to have the plasma 8ft away from the rest of the gear?

Cheers,
    Scott

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    8ft is no reall problem cables up to 5m will be fine! you can get custom multi core cable and run YUV + S-video down one a single if slightly chunky cable.

11. Beefer

Beefer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks horny dragon.

I've just been contemplating ordering the Pio AX5i Receiver but I am not sure if it does component switching or upsampling - like the Denon 3803 does?

Anybody know.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Beefer

The Denon AVR-3803 and Pioneer VSX-AX5i both have decent quality wide bandwidth video switching and unless your getting hyper critical and going for very long cable runs you wont have an issue with either used as a YUV switch.

Only the Denon AVR-3803 offers you the up-conversion from Composite and S-Video to YUV - I would use that as an excellent 'convenience' for those that use Composite or S-Video with their 'secondary' video sources; though if S-Video is very important in your set up its probably better to take an unconverted S-Video signal to a suitable input board in the Plasma.

For your Digibox I'd use a good quality RGB only SCART cable plus a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter and decent YUV cable to get the Digibox signal into either of the AV Amps - this works very well and is also how you would have to connect things if you were to consider an iScan or Lumagen scaler at some future date.

Both of the AV Amps have audio delay so no problems with lip sync from any of your sources - the Denon outputs its main set-up menus on the YUV output (I'll need to look at me Pioneer dealer manual to verify if this is also the case with the Pioneer amp) which again makes for simple switching and set up.

We all have our favourite cable brands and concept of what is value for money in cable land - I use and supply (amongst others) BetterCables and find these produce excellent results with SKY+ and my DVD player.

Best regards

Joe