Panny 6 - flashing LED

LDJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on when the Panasonic Series 6 turns itself off and the green LED turns red and starts flashing?
The screen seems to go into standby, but insteat of a lit LED as per standby, the light is flashing red...

I'm trying to figure out what's causing this to happen, but if I knew what it meant on the telly I could figure it out.

The instructions are up the attic, so I thought i'd ask here rather than get a ladder! ;)

thanks

Edit: all sorted now, as of 19/12/03 :clap:

without trawling in depth through the manual there is a function in the setup menu that turns the plasma off after a predetermined time - could be this? I've got a pdf of the manual if you want me to email it to you

Thanks, i'll have a look. and a copy of the manual would be great. I'll PM ya now :)

Just looked at the menu with the auto-power off and that, along with all the timers are turned off..........anyone got any clue as to why this is happening?

My panny 5 started doing that... eventually it just turned itself off as soon as you switched it on and started flashing red led.

hmmm... panasonic are replacing my panny 5 with a panny 6, which is nice.

ah what? please tell me your kidding! :(
The manual makes no mention of a flashing LED, and if you get up and turn the screen off and back on at the button on the unit then its OK...It only seems to happen about once a day or so, but its driving me nuts.
I've only had the unit for a few months :(

No joke i'm afraid it's exactly what happened on my panny5. Lets hope it sorts itself out or the fix is simple. However, just in case it's not..

My advice would be to report the fault to panasonic and get on the waiting list for a loan unit. I waited for 6 weeks without a tv waiting for a loan unit (played hell and got the upgrade from a 5 to a 6).

Thanks for that. I hope to god its not that...do I contact the retailer or Panasonic directly?

Im starting to doubt the reliability of panasonic,the last thing you want is to spend 3-4 grand on a plasma and have to worry about it going faulty so soon or even worse after the 1 year warranty.

This isnt the first i have heard about this same fault,

Sought it out panasonic,if mine went faulty after the say 13 months im sure theres something the trading standards could advise me on, surely theres a law on this.

Aynone have any knowledge of this.

I suppose i could email watchdog, muhahahahahah

actually, i *think* its more of a Quintro+ issue than the plasma, as i've noticed that it only ever happens on a certain input. When the AUX input is activated on the Quintro+ (connected to a CCTV camera with motion detector, so the telly switches over automatically), about one in three times the TV switches off.
I've removed it from the Quintro for the past 48hrs or so and it hasn't switched off once, so fingers crossed lets hope that is what it is.
Still, even if it is, it doesn't explain why its doing it! :confused:

RE:ldj

Thanks 4 letting me know, im happy to hear it wasnt to do with the plasma.

But like you said why is it doin it anyway, also how long have you had it and how often is it left on.

thanks

Its only a theory, and will need a few more days for me to be sure that its not the set (i'm praying its not 'cos its a fantastic screen!).
Not sure whats causing it, or why it has started now after approx. 3 months of use!?!
The screen is on all day - from morning to night, and then on standby overnight

I may be wrong,

but in my experience, red & green flashing is a fault warning - it happened to me on my Toshiba CRT. Something went wrong with the powerboard (the motherboard inside the telly that controls the distribution of power to the internal components), and the front panel started flashing red&green intermittently. I called my local service centre, and they told me that means there's a fault with the set, and I should have an engineer look at it.

Turns out, there was a fault, because then there was a picture, and no sound!

Check the manual cover-to-cover, and if there's no mention of R&G flashing (e.g. in Troubleshooting section etc.), call for help.

HTH

Moory

yep - fair point. I take on board what you guys are saying, but what do I say? :D
I can't tell them what causes the problem, I cant replicate the problem and I can't tell them with any certainty there is a problem - dya think they will just laugh at me? ;)

well reluctantly it seems like you guys were right. I unplugged the camera to ascertain for sure if it was that, and a few minutes ago it went and switched itself off :(

Have contacted av-sales now (the retailer from whom I bought the set) who will be contacting Panasonic for a replacement set.
Anyone know the procedure? Will they repair mine or just swap it for a new set? how long is it all likely to take?

See above, Panasonic are hopeless when it comes to loan screens, maybe Liam has one to lend you? After all the fuss about grey imports and how vital this bit of the warranty is, it's a total farce! Might as well have saved a few more quid, and bought an import.

Well, its getting worse on a daily basis now! :(
Today the screen switched off three times in 35 minutes, which simply isn't good enough!!!! :mad:

Apparently av-sales have given my details to Pansonic (who couldn't do anything without a serial number), and they will contact me directly within 48hrs

hmmmm.... panasonic are totally sh*ite and getting back to you, do not expect a call back unless you deal with a team leader type bod. And then only expect them to talk to you after you kick up a massive fuss - i speak from experience.. and as for a loan unit...

BYTW: I have taken delivery for my panny 6 (panasonic replaced my panny 5 with one 'cos i waited so long for a loan unit) and it's great!!! :clap:

FaxFan,

How'd you find the Panny 6 pictures with NTL Digital?

How have you got them connected?

Thanks

JJ

Wooooooooooot!!!!!!!!

3 times in 35 minutes omg!!!!!

Hope mine doesnt breakdown.

PANASONIC SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still the best when it comes to cinematic pictures though.

Ldj maybe it got too hot due to long usage, i mean plasma,s are suppose to get very hot arent they.:rolleyes:

Well, av-sales rang today to confirm they have logged the problem with Panasonic customer services and that Panasonic will contact me "in 2-3 days".
Good news is that they will be sending an engineer to sort it out in-house, rather than arse about with loan units etc.

One thing i've noticed is that it seems to be when using remote controls that it turns off. Originally it seemed to be reacting to the Quintro remote (had me thinking there may be some sort of IR conflict), but its also happened with the TIVO remote and the remote for my Pioneer receiver, so whether its related or just coincidental I dont know! I've covered the IR sensor now in a hi-tech scientific experiment to ascertain if it is related! :laugh:

Either way, its getting worse ona daily basis - has turned off 5 times so far today, and it isn't even 13:00! :thumbsdow

Panasonic already have knowledge of this fault which can easily be fixed with an on-site repair. It's a very simple small circuit board replacement but it does require one of Barron McCann's engineers (contracted by Panasonic) to visit the customer.

I don't think it's the same as what FaxFan suffered on his five series though. FaxFan - you did very well to get a 6 out of 'em! Congratulations!!!

PW5's were very reliable, just noticed on the side of a PW6 box here, 'Made in China'. Sure the 5's were made in Japan. Anyone confirm this? it's a while since I saw a 5 box, I may be mistaken.

Originally posted by Liam McLaughlin
Panasonic already have knowledge of this fault which can easily be fixed with an on-site repair. It's a very simple small circuit board replacement but it does require one of Barron McCann's engineers (contracted by Panasonic) to visit the customer.
That's good news. Is it normall for the problem to get so much worse so quickly?
The set has turned off seven times today alone now, and its got to the point where we've switched it off, 'cos were tired of getting up and turning it back on! I dont know whether to laugh or cry!

Reports on here that you'll wait forever for Panasonic to contact you have also got me a bit worried - i'm hoping that's just when a loan set is necessary!

Thanks

Barron McCann are not the swiftest of folk either, if it's an on site repair, but they do seem to get the job done eventually, and if it's a simple component swap with a known fault, that sounds pretty comforting to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom