Panny 6 flashing LED problem

Gez_pw6

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I had a problem last night where my th42pw6b went into standby with the red LED flashing and a high pitched whinning sound. I have done some research on the board and have found a few threads posted nearly a year ago. This appears to be a common fault with the power supply board. As my screen is out of warranty (15 months old now)I was wondering if others have managed to get their screens fixed F O C? Also what is the best way to get this done as quickly as possible? The retailer said that I must deal with Panasonic direct as the screen is out of warranty....

Thanks in advance.

Gez_pw6

Yep covered quite a bit in the past, it's a known issue with the PW6 which will be done FOC.

How long does it take to get fixed?

Who do I call? Panasonic or Barron McCann

Gez_pw6 said:
How long does it take to get fixed?

Who do I call? Panasonic or Barron McCann

There are stories of both working but outside of warranty I would say go to panasonic as it will require authorisation.

The actual fix itself takes about 10 minutes but I would suspect it may not get booked until after xmas now :thumbsdow

Thanks for the quick reply.

I take it all I need is the serial number of the panel.

Gez_pw6 said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I take it all I need is the serial number of the panel.

Yep and a date of purchase should help things along too.

Thanks,

I don't think I,ll get a loan one I live in Scotland.

As one of the many owners of a PW6 I find this rather worrying - whilst Panasonic appear (at the moment) to take a flexible view on free repairs out of warranty this could obviously change in the future.
Mine is only a month old but I presume it's still at risk from this fault - ie they haven't corrected the issue in the design or done a recall?...

Simon

Since the problem surfaced some 8 months ago I believe, I would very much hope that ones purchased within the last month, would be newer stock with a revised power supply design. I would find it incredibly disappointing, if new purchases are still potential timebombs for power supply failure.

Additionally I wouldn't have thought Panasonic will be going around replacing peoples power supplies if they are going to fail again in another years time.

Jonathan

swarrans said:
As one of the many owners of a PW6 I find this rather worrying - whilst Panasonic appear (at the moment) to take a flexible view on free repairs out of warranty this could obviously change in the future.
Mine is only a month old but I presume it's still at risk from this fault - ie they haven't corrected the issue in the design or done a recall?...

Simon
get an extended warranty then you are fully covered £199 for extra years seems good to me (especially) as it is 24 hoour on -site service (panny can take 3 weeks to turn up)

Just aan update:

Spoke to Panasonic this morning.
Got a call from Barron Maccann at 11am - they can only repair on the 5th/6th of Jan.
Had to call Panasonic back re:loan item - no loan item as it is out of warranty.

Hopefully it will last that long.

Thanks again for all your help!

I am thinking of taking out extended warranty. Does anybody know how much it should cost?

Gez_pw6

Gez, how bad is the problem? The reason I ask is that I had the same fault last year (you may have come across my sorry thread!) and found the screen switching off consistently. If you are in the same boat its worth mentioning here that I managed to get the screen to stay on until it was 'finally' repaired by putting all picture settings to minimum and also the advance settings also. Made for a crap picture but was more than watchable AND was better than staring at the wall! Also try putting all the power save options ON.

only happens after 5 hours.

But will make a few changes now to prolong its life

Hmmm, thats how it begins, then (unless you are lucky) things speed up and within a week mine was down to a few seconds, just enough to make the setting changes. Like I said, if you are lucky maybe it will stay as it is, if not, turning down the settings just might get you through xmas.. good luck!

Lads arrived on the 5th and replaced the Psu board. All is fine at the moment....

Fixed by Panny at no charge even though it was out of warranty!

Thanks for all your help.

Gez :clap:

How can you tell if you screen might be effected? I bought mine in August but only use it for watching films and have probably not even racked up 200 hours yet. Could easily be out of warrenty before a problem occurs. :confused:

Gez_pw6 said:
Lads arrived on the 5th and replaced the Psu board. All is fine at the moment....

Fixed by Panny at no charge even though it was out of warranty!

Thanks for all your help.

Gez :clap:

My panny 6 started turning itself off over the weekend, the symptoms are that you may be watching something and it powers down to the red LED and if you try and turn it on immediately, it gives a whining sound and the picture that comes back is very blurred and grainy. If you leave it turned off for a while, the picture tends to come back as normal later.

Initially it happened once, but last night it happened 3 times so is obviously getting worse.

Does this sound the same as those previously mentioned ???

Purchased the unit from AV sales Dec 03, so just out of warranty.

Gez, which retailer told you to contact Panasonic direct ?? and what number did you use to contact Panasonic ??

DarT

Anyone suffered a power supply problem on a PW7 yet or hopefully Panasonic have revised the board as to eliminate the problem

:D

DarT,

That is the same as the problem that I had.....

You will have to phone panasonic first 08705 357357. They need your serial and model number. Found on the back of the screen behind the wall mount bracket!

They will then pass the info on to Barron McCan. You can call them on 01332 866 938 ask for Fergus! Or email [email protected] They are polite and helpful.

Gez

There was a post on this board not so long ago with a PW7 user with the same problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom