1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6/Event II/Quasi 100 Hz

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Paden, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find mention of it elsewhere :D
    I wasn't able to get along to the recently held Event II but understood that the Panny 6 SD was going to be tested there at different refresh rates, to see if by avoiding the Quasi 100Hz mode PAL images were improved (increased colour depth/less solorisation).
    Does anyone know what the outcome was or can give me a link to where it has already been discussed?

Cheers, Paul

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Diffesrent input signal types were played in to the D6's at the Event. No-one has commented on this so far.

I can tell you thatmy own conclusions are that there is obviously more banding/posterisation when fed a 50Hz incoming signal compared to 60Hz.

Gordon

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Similar query.

I've got a 37PW5 and I'm feeding it 856x480 at 60Hz from a HTPC . All sources either come direct from the HTPC or get scaled and deinterlaced by it . Interlaced PAL via svideo direct into the panel is softer looking and seems to stutter more obviously.

Looks like I'm getting a 1:1 pixel match ( lose a couple of pixels either side so it tallies to 852) using the HTPC.

I'm assuming the panel refreshes at 60Hz regardless of input ?
    Don't think the panel has a 100Hz mode. (thank God)

4. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Johns Wifey here yet again!

This 100 hertz thingy.

We have th42pw6, is this already set on 100 hertz?

Do we have to change any settings for this?

Ta.

5. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the replies all.
    Guess I will have to be getting myself a scaler :D (Ouch!)
    Johns Wifey, from what I understand :)rolleyes: ) when the panel is fed with a 50Hz signal (PAL) there is a greater chance of noticeable flicker.
    The electronics in the panel up the apparent refresh rate to overcome this but at the expense of the number of colours that can be used & this leads to an increase in banding/posterisation (I guess I used the wrong term previously).
    You can get some scalers that accept 50Hz input but that can output at 60Hz, this allows you to bypass this process which as you can see from the previous replies can improve the picture.
    I believe from reading other posts that the Panasonics video processing overall is not too hot & an external processor should help all round :smashin:

Cheers, Paul