1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 DVI : native res or not ???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by machu, Sep 22, 2004.

1. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe it. For months I've been planning on buying a Plasma and now when I have the money for it, I can't make a decision. It's now down to Pio 50MXE-1 and TH50PHW6. I like the fact that I can connect HTPC to Pio without any problems, but TBH I always preferred Panny PQ over Pio (I never seen 50MXE-1, only PDP504). So I'd rather go Panny road, but (there is always a BUT) I found many threads on "Panny DVI issue"

I've been searching all the past posts and although I found some threads on the subject I didn't find a definite answer to the question: Can TH50PHW6 DVI input accept 1366x768 native resolution?
    I think that there was an issue with resolution at 50 Hz, is that true?
    I plan on using HTPC with sweetspot (SAT SDI mod) with a later upgrade from HTPC to Crystalio or Lumagen (if they manage to come out of beta and fix the Pal problems) .

Can anyone confirm if the DVI problem on Panny still exists?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    machu

There is no Panny 'Problem' as such - its simply that (for you) the specification for the TY-42TM6DB DVI Terminal Board does not (and never has) supported 1366x768@50Hz - its simply not in the specification.

The only 50Hz signal supported is 625(575)50P - and the Board is quite fussy about how you present that signal to the Display; often folk get a blank screen if inputting directly from a DVI equipped DVD player.

The Pioneer 50MXE1 is quite a different beast to the PDP-504HDE and whilst it doesn't have the black level of the Panasonic Displays (in a dark room) it does have plenty of other features that may put it back at the top of your shopping list - the selectable Frame Rate Conversion modes in particular are a big plus point when you want to use a Video Processor in the signal path.

Best regards

Joe

3. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does that mean that I will not be able to watch Pal (DVD/SAT) at this resolution because there might be a visible judder ?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    There are folk who have managed to get 1366X768@60 in to the plasma. How obvious/objectionable the frame rate conversion from 50 to 60 is depends on how well it's done by your PC/processor.

Gordon

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    machu

As Gordon says with perseverance you can get 'non specified' signals to work (I guess Gordon should have added 'with a Video Processor [and the knowledge to adjust the Video Processor]in the signal path'!)- its a case of getting it working and deciding if it was worth the effort or not!!!

The 50MXE1 is possibly a better option for you if you want to Input 1366x768@50Hz and have 'smooth' looking video.

Best regards

Joe

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    jOE 1366x768@60 is specified as do-able in Pannies literature it's just not a standard timing they use I think...who'd have thought.....Doubt anyone's got 50Hz working at that resolution. Might try in a mo.

Gordon

7. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon

I think I speak for many in the forum with Panny 6s in saying that we would strongly encourage you to try this & would be very interested to hear of your efforts in attempting to get 50Hz via DVI accepted.

I have a 42PHD6 (1024x768 native) btw.

Many thanks

Good luck.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi all, I have 2 50PHD's working at native res via PC, it is in the DVI board book as do-able, I think at 59.94 or something like that, I'll dig the book out if anyone wants to be bored with it. TBH there is little to choose between digital and VGA, it just kind of feels better to be digital!

9. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THanks for that MAW.

What's your opinion on the 'judder' effect of displaying 50Hz material @ 60Hz? Is it significant / noticable & how does it actually manifest itself?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Descibing this is very difficult, and also depends on the driving device. Insignificant on the very best, immediatey obvious if your PC lacks grunt. Of course this is the case on VGA as well as DVI, just with VGA you have a bit more choice about refresh rates. And don't forget this is not a unique Panasonic problem, it happens on Pioneer too.