1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 board?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TopMeTom, Aug 10, 2003.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi,

After having a demo of the panny 6 and pio from Liam at av-sales(v.good service),I have decided to go for one of the 6 series screens.

Question,what is the difference between the commercial and consumer screens,is there one?Also at the mo i have and old 717 Pio dvd so Liam has advised the scart board,if I upgrade my player to a component output will I be able to upgrade the board?(I think I can):zonked:

Cheers,

Phil

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Phil,

I think the only difference is the bezel colour - silver for the consumer, and black for the commercial. If you were to upgrade to a player with component output, you would just need a component to HD15 VGA lead as the VGA can now be configured to take component aswell as RGB - well done Panasonic. :rolleyes:

Steve

3. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil..I've been trying to find out this info too as I prefer the silver bezel of the Consumer.
    I found this post by Glauco BruZZi on the US AVSforum site which seems to show that there are more differences that just the bezel (Do a search to find the whole thread)....I believe TH-42PA20U=Panasonic TH-42PW6B in UK.

Not available on the Consumer TH-42PA20U:

1) Picture size and position controls - You can increase/decrease the size of the picture. It's very useful for me because I like to increase the vertical size a little bit when watching 2.35:1 Movies. Also you can move the picture position to left or right. Available on previous consumer models

2) Video picture setting memory for each input.

3) Advance picture setting in picture menu - Enables additional picture adjustments like: Black extension, white balance for red and blue areas, gamma. It's available on Panasonic Commercial Plasmas.

4) Screen Saver - I'm still have to find out how it works on the new Commercial.
    On current Panasonic Plasmas the Screen Saver has to be set manually.
    So it's not a useful feature IMO.

5) 720p native -

6) Multi-Function Slots - Ability to have two DVI-HDCP inputs on the TH-42PWD6UY
    (S-Video won't be possible because it shares the same slot 1 or 2 as the DVI. )

7) 9-Point Digital Zoom - Use this function to select one portion of an image (from nine points on the screen), enlarge it to two or three times normal size, and display it on the full screen.

Maybe Joe or Liam can confirm the same is true for UK models.

I'm pretty sure you will also be able to add a component board to these new Gen 6 Plasmas as they have 3 Terminal Board slots...wonder where they got idea from ;)

Cheers,
    Rick

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    TrickyDicky,
    I believe from the descriptions given on the US site, including the built in speakers that the UK equivalent model is the 'Panasonic TH42PA20B 42" Plasma TV'.

In the UK we have 3 models available -
    TH-42PW6D - commercial model - grey bezel
    TH-42PW6B - Consumer display - silver bezel, virtually same as PW6D apart from slightly lower emissions from the screen. Also retail outlets can not supply the DVI card, it is only available through commercial sales or people that do both.
    TH-42PA20 - Television with built in tuner and speakers, built in DVI/other interfaces.

Check out some of the earlier posts, Joe has explained the difference between the models.
    The impression I get is that Panasonic US has decided not to release an equivalent of the TH-42PW6B.

Check out AV-SALES for more details...

Steve

5. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for pointing that out Steve.
    Thats better news for me as I'd like the consumer (non TV) model anyway.
    Manufacturers sure don't like to keep these things simple.
    Rick

6. OxfordDon

OxfordDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    TrickyDicky, having just taken delivery of a new silver series 6, I can assure you that all those features the US site says are not on the consumer model actually are. In fact I was just about to post asking for tips on fine tuning such things as white balance in red and blue areas (there are two of each, low level and high level), since I'm not sure where to begin :blush:

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi,

Just to correct steve36 slightly, the UK "grey/black" commercial panel is the TH-42PWD6, not PW6D.

OxfordDon - The US consumer model is the TH-42PA20U because, as steve36 says, they don't have an equivalent to the UK PW6B. Confused? You will be...

Steve

8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    So ,there is hardly any difference?????

I'll just stick to the grey bezel then.......

Phil