1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 Avia settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by saturday, Dec 21, 2003.

1. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just spent an hour or so setting up my PW6 with Avia. No doubt the settings for my screen will be different to another one but I thought I'd share some of my findings in case anyone is interested.

Prior to using the Avia disc I had, by eye, set contrast to 0, brightness to 2, colour to 2, tint to 0 and sharpness to 3. Temp normal and gamma 2.2.

My player outputs PAL and NTSC and I calibrated against both. Avia settings were:

contrast -5
    brightness +1
    colour 0
    tint 0
    sharpness 0
    temp normal
    gamma 2.2

I had a quick play with the advanced settings but to be honest I'm not really clear what they do (I can guess what they do but I'd really like to read up on them first) and so have left these to a later date. Has anyone cracked these yet or could point me to a link?

Back to normal sources I was happy with the changes and the picture was certainly just a bit more pleasing. I then made some minor adjustments to suit my eye which were to increase colour and brightness by 1. Image now is as good as it has been.

I then went through the advanced video patterns in Avia to see if I was still happy with the result. I was.

When I got to the overscan screen though I was really surprised at how much of the image was missing - between 4 and 10% on each edge. Setting the image to just fill the screen was easily done (different for PAL and NTSC). Nice to know that I'm now seeing "all" the image!

2. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi thanks for that.
    what picture type you using? cinema,dynamic,norm????

Cheers,

Phil

3. I want a plasma

I want a plasma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    can you please tell me what the Panny 6 Avia settings are?
    I will be getting the panny 6 in the new year [hopefully in the sales:smashin: :smashin: ] i take it the Avia is a set up disk that comes with the panny? is that right?
    Cheers,
    Andy.

4. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phil

I've made the changes to the nornal setting. I presumed that normal/enhanced/dynamic were just 3 memory settings. Are there other differences then? Also, I should have said that I'm using component input. I use svideo for Sky and plan to set up svideo input with Avia soon.

andy

Avia is a dvd based audio and video calibration system. It doesn't come with the Panny. Costs £20 - £25. Worth it I think but not an essential. The thing about using something like Avia is that you can get used to looking at a shocking picture (eg contrast is normally way too high out of the box) and it is not until you optimise the picture and get used to it that you realise how much better the picture is when properly set up.

5. I want a plasma

I want a plasma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi phil,
    thanks for that matey.
    I`ll have to think about that when i get my panny6.
    Cheers,
    Andy.

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did not want to start a new thread for this question , so i hope you dont mine me putting it here

i will be getting my Digital Video Essentials (PAL) dvd soon and would like some advice on using it for ntl digital setup.

for my pal dvd setup i will use it through dvd player to pal imput for dvds through component.

for ntl digital i thought about just copying the results over to this imput. but on the vga imput i have less picture settings? i do use a iscan ultra in the middle for ntl digital then on to plasma through vga? i do have alot of picture setting to play with on the iscan ultra but doubt they are like for like on the component imput of plasma,

so is the best way for me to use the interlased output on the dvd player to iscan ultra the on to vga imput on plasma ?

and do i set the vga imput setting to 0 on the plasma itself and just use the picture settings on iscan ultra?

sorry for all questions

hopefully someone in know can answer?
    :D :D

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    OK,

If you set your DVD to output NTSC with black at 0ire then you could use AVIA to set brightness and contrast. If you cannot then brightness and probably contrast will be incorrect if you use AVIA for PAL setting.

Dynamic, Normal and Cinema do load up different settings in the background. (service menu). I would use cinema myself or normal but never dynamic

What happens in Panasonics is they load up memory banks in the background and then apply offsets to them. So your user settings are offsets from factory settings that load dependant on the incoming signal type and scan rate.

The Advanced settings for red and blue are for setting greyscale offsets. The top parts adjust brightest part of the image and the bottom adjust dark parts of the image. They need suitbale test patterns and test equipment to set accurately. The most accurate setting comes from actually fixing these settings in the service menu so that input signal type and scan rate level adjustments can be made. (That's what I do when I calibrate them for clients).
    The input signal thing in advanced helps when you have devices with too high a voltage output which results in crushed white detail. You can fix it here. Again you need test discs or a good idea what you are looking for if it's a Skybox or video processor.

Hope this is a little use.

Gordon

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Saturday,

Thanks for sharing the settings. I've tweaked mine a bit as a result.

For contrast, I use the auto setting. With the current light in the room (daylight in, but pretty dull), the contrast setting from auto is similar, but slightly lower than the -5. (Looks more like -10). I like the auto setting. I generally watch the screen in fairly low light (and it uses a low contrast setting), but when there is bright daylight it compensates.

Mark

9. mrsimes

mrsimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

I've had my Panny 6 for just over three weeks now. Up until tonight, I have been cautiously playing with the settings (being careful not to set stuff too high).

I checked out the American forums to see what other people's optimum settings are. It seems that most people set the contrast higher than the brightness. When I tried this by eye, it seemed to make people's faces look too red for my liking.

I received the AVIA CD today and decided that at 72 hours viewing so far, I'd have a go at calibrating properly.

I'm using a JS-Tech RGB->VGA convertor and my results came out as:

Normal Preset
    Contrast -15
    Brightness +1
    Sharpness +1
    Gamma 2.2
    All advanced settings 0

I set the overscan too (yes, you see a suprising amount more of the picture when you adjust this correctly!)

When I switched back to my Sky digital, I have to say that the PQ does look even better with these settings. They seem to mask the 'bittiness' that you sometimes see around people, objects etc.

It's funny as I'd not read this thread prior to calibrating and I see that two other people came out with very similar results.

I tried the 'cinema' preset but it just didn't feel right. I agree that normal is best.

No-one seems to mention the 's-curve' gamma setting. I didn't think it looked too bad. 2.2 came out slightly on top though for me.

Just my $2.

Si