1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 and Panny DMR-85 connection

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by beerglass007, Sep 21, 2004.

1. beerglass007

beerglass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been running my Panny 6 plasma via scart/RGB using my telewest cable box for 6 months now and the picture is wicked.

The built in VGA connecter has been wired up to my older pie 626D DVD player via compent.

I have just ripped out the old DVD player and replaced it with a new Panasonic DMR-85.

This has been connected via the VGA connecter and setup using prog scan from within the DVD menu setup.

The DVD playback is great, no problems there.

The cable box is outputting RGB and connected to one of the AV sockets
    of the DMR85 recorder.
    The problem is PQ, the RGB signal is beening converted within DMR85 ( i guess ) and then outputted in component to the plasma.

The PQ was better using the old setup via the scart lead and RGB.

I know the DVD playback is amazing so its not the DVD player, so must be where the RGB signal is converted in component and sent out to the plasma.

Does anyone have any good idea's to fix this type of problem.

Also what is the best pictures settings on the PW6 for component viewing?

Currently its set on AUTO mode

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If the component conversion is that bad (have no experience of newer Panny DVDRAMs so don't know myself) why not run RGB scart from Telewest to Recorder, then another RGB scart from Recorder to plasma. No need for component anywhere then!!

Or could it be that you have run RGB from the telewest to the plasma on the only RGB scart available, and are using a second (non-RGB) scart from the Telewest to the recorder??? Or that the recorder is not on it's correct RGB input scart etc.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You also have to set the input scart to RGB on the DMR's. If it's on 'video' 'pal' or 'composite' that's what you are seeing, the telewest composite pins carry a full composite picture even with RGB enabled.

4. beerglass007

beerglass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The connection from the telewest box is RGB, it was setup when I brought my plasma.

I brought the plasma from yourself liam, at av-sales. I was using the AV switch bow and 5m scart cable you supplied within the great deal.

Anyway, the telewest box was connected using a fully wired scart cable
    into the av switch box and then onto the plasma via the 5m scart cable.

Everything was routed via the switch box apart from the DVD player which used direct component via the VGA socket.

The new purchase of the DMR-85 has replaced the the DVD player and I still would like to use component if possible. I dont think the prog scan would even work without using this anyway.

So currently the telewest box routes into the recorder and then out into the av switch and onto the plasma via RGB and scart connections.
    When the recorder is turned off the connection is looped though and works via RGB ( looks quite nice ). But then you turn the recorder on, so I can copy TV or use the time-slip functions it uses component.
    Using the component is wicked in DVD playback but not as good when using TV.

I would also like to add I havnt played around much with the picture setup
    of the plasma and I know this efforts PQ quite alot. But when using the RGB the AUTO mode had always been just fine.

I have noticed when using a XBOX on component via the HD kit that the black pictures have some green dots flying around in the background. I just wondered if thats because the picture hasnt been setup corectly with component.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm now a little confused. So you usually watch telewest RGB scart (via the recorder) which is fine.

Is it telewest via component conversion that isn't fine? (in which case check RGB settings as well as connections)

Or using the tuner built into the recorder to view TV (which is going to always look awful!)?

Are viewing recordings from telewest as bad as viewing telewest "live" straight through the recorder and up to plasma via component?

6. beerglass007

beerglass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The recorder has 2 scarts inputs/outputs.

The telewest box is plugged into AV1 and then AV2 is plugged into the AV switch. Then the 5m scart cable into the back of the plasma.
    The recorder also has the component cable connected directly into the vga port of the plasma.

When the recorder is turned off the telewest box just works via RGB and the scart connections. But I cant record anything. So when turned on the scart signal cannot be used, so I need to turn the plasma onto component mode to see any picture.
    So when the recorder is off its just looping the telewest signal in and out using the scart connections.
    When turned on is taking the telwest signal from AV1 and outputting it using component.

Ok I could remove the component cable and the recorder would then output anything via the scart output, but I would lose prog scan and signal quality.

The PQ is wicked when using the recorder as a standard player, but when turned on the PQ isnt quite so good. If your wathing something on TV sometimes peoples faces dont have the correct skin tones, looks blocky

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Telewest needs to go IN to AV2, recorder needs to go OUT of AV1 to switcher.

8. beerglass007

beerglass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    played around with it again last night
    I have these settings correct.

Whats the best setup for the picture?
    AUTO? NORMAL? or manual

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I use NORMAL in the day and CINEMA at night! Cinema is much darker overall and during the day ambient light destroys most dark detail hence having a brighter bunch of settings using normal.

So you now have Telewest going into the recorders AV2 socket, enabled for RGB? If so then it must be the component conversion in the recorder that is affecting the PQ.