1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 6 advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mrsimes, Sep 18, 2003.

1. mrsimes

mrsimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I am currently in the middle of some home improvements, and it looks like I should have some spare cash, when all finished in a few weeks time. I'm very interested in purchasing a Plasma screen and the panny 6 seems to be getting good reviews and feedback on here.

I live in Plymouth and have been around to local retailers to see a variety of Plasma screens in action. So far, I have been very disappointed with what I have seen. It seems that all shops down here, have the screens badly configured/connected.
    I'm mainly interested in watching Sky through my digibox, playing games on my xbox and watching DVD's at the weekends (also through the xbox).
    So far I've only seen one example of a plasma screen which blew me away, and that was the DVD of Monsters Inc, playing on a Panny 5 in the Panasonic shop.

The Panasonic shop could not demonstrate sky or xbox as they didn't have the 'facilities' to set either up.
    In all other shops where Sky has been 'set up' the whole image is shimmery (the same as if I watched through RF on my standard CRT TV). Nothing is crisp. Colours seem all bandy. I couldn't sit and watch an evening of TV with it looking like that!

I know the potential must be there for the plasma to display a really superb image, I've seen this on the DVD of Monsters Inc, but that's all I've seen.

Richer sounds were equally as bad. They had DVD's playing, but they looked like they were playing through composite!

AV-sales are currently doing an excellent deal on the panny 6. For around £3000, you can have a panny 6, with RGB board, wall mount, switcher box and cables. I'm reluctant to order though, without seeing the picture quality of sky and xbox first.

So... is there anybody in the SouthWest that does have a Panny 6 set up through RGB that could either take a photo of their screen showing Sky/Xbox, or that I could possibly come to see!?

If not, I'll either have to take a chance, or go and visit av-sales.

Also is the Panasonic RGB board as good as the JS Tech RGB to VGA convertor?

Thanks in advance for all your help/advice,

Si

2. mrsimes

mrsimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like I jumped the gun a little bit here!
    I've just been back through the forum and found blue_tarragon's post which includes screen shots of sky and xbox - very nice!
    However, if anyone has any more sky piccies, that would be great, and if I could actually come and see one, even better!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Si

3. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrsimes,

sky from 3yr old Amstrad through scart on PW6 looks much better than anything I've seen in any shops. Don't know why but it's a fact, and it's by far not the best option to connect it. Provided you don't skimp on cables (QED, Supra, BetterCables) and make best use of your connection possibilities (component and VGA through JSTech boxes or scalers) you can get it real close to DVD. Your PWD6 is going to blow you away. I do get quite a lot of banding on SKY but it's hardly there in movie channels and bothers you if you look for it

I got mine from avsales on offer last week and it's great. Quintro box is not very convincing but for free it is welcome in my cupboard. Stand/wallmount is smth you'd have to buy and tech+link cable is really good. The service is top notch too.