Panny 500 and VB

RobsterD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Have just watched "Touching the Void" on my PJ and if there is ever a film to see VB this is it !!
Great film by the way ,but I'm afraid ruined on the big screen by the dreaded VB,I'm running the PJ via DVI from a HTPC 1:1 pixel mapped.
Tried the flicker tweaks made no difference whatsoever.
I'm now wondering wether I've got a badun,the firmware is
R1.09 A1.00,can you AE500 users check this film out (you'll enjoy it ,it's a semi documentary about two climbers survival in the Andes) and report back with results also leaving your firmware revision.
Many Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob,

I see VB on my AE500 in areas of single light colours with several films. I try not to notice it as I know that leads to upgraditis.

Not tried to alter the flicker settings yet. Don't know the firmware number - where do you find that?

From my understanding the VB was a product of the LCD chips - can you tell me how firmware would affect it?

Cheers,

Ian.

Like Wither says - its probably best to just ignore it! Saying that I dont get any VB on mine (likewise - i have no idea where the firmware number is) so I can't really comment.

Must say tho, got a seriously improved picture after playing around with the flicker settings - very worthwhile trying.

I'd noticed it on other films but not to a distracting point,when watching the above film it was really apparent.I know it is a LCD anomaly,but it seems to vary between PJ quite alot.
Having seen it I wanted to investigate ways of minimizing the effect,the flicker trick and using dvi were supposive options but have made no difference on my PJ.
The firmware issue is a red herring having read some stuff on AVS.
Really just want to know what level people experience VB on the film. and wether to them it was distracting.
Cheers
Rob

i have the same firmware i think
no vb :)
have only ever heard of flivker tweak to correct / using dvi input, but some people have recommended using lense filters (hoya i think) - can't remember exact ones though as I don't see the vb.

Having said all that, I may have experienced my first VB last night!

Weird thing is I always though VB was visible mostly on flesh tones, where as I got it over masses of green during the Chelsea / Arsenal match last night...

It wasn't very noticeable until you looked for it, but it was like the lens was dirty. Threw in LOTR TT and didn't get it at all....

Anyone else get this?

I found it's MUCH better to stop looking. Start looking for things and you might as well play scrabble instead, 'cos you definitely won't be enjoying the film anymore.

I agree, once I noticed it I just ignored it - problem solved! :)

However, I wonder if it was VB as it only appeared on the football pitch.... or would this be a problem with the broadcast?

i to have an AE500 and was well disapointed with what i saw all over tha pitch CHELSEA BEATING ARSENAL .................MIND YOU IT WAS THE FIRST TIME IN 18 ATTEMPTS

:D fair! - sadly I am a LFC fan so was just watching the match!

having looked around people seem to think the problem is not VB, but FPN (or something like that?!?) and can often be solved with the secret flicker menu....

comments anyone?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom