1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 500 50Hz via DVI - OH YES !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NoDad, May 15, 2004.

1. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OK boys, all of you who have been watching my previous thread, this is the one you've been waiting for. Silky smooth pans from 50 Hz material. :eek: :eek:

Make sure that you change the sync to + and +. Put the panny in EDID2 mode.

I use my Radion in clone mode using Alt-F5 to switch between displays. Note if the panny is in EDID1 mode (or you switch to it while displaying info from the PC) the Panny will display in WIDE720 mode @ 60Hz. If you are in EDID2 mode switch back to the PC monitor and back to the PJ and all should be OK.

To check the display mode go to "PICTURE" in the MENU on the PJ. At the bottom it should say "750P / 50". This confirms that the PJ is operating in 750 progressive mode @ 50Hz.

In this mode the PJ is operating at maximum quality with no re-scaling.

There are small black boarders at the top and bottom, which I may be able to eliminate but if you only use your PJ for video purposes this isn't a problem, anyway switch to a 60Hz mode for data use!

Much as I would like to claim credit for this info, I cannot, I found some info on another forum and had a play.

Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    :clap: :clap: well done that man.

Adrenochrome.

3. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :clap: Well done Nodad ! Were these Powerstrip timings taken from the Sanyo Z2 720P/50hz timings posted on another forum ? I tried those but didn't change syncs or EDIDs on the projector. I'm glad you thought it through ! What software player are you using ? I'm looking to improve on PowerDVD5 and NvDVD2.55 with the ability to play ripped movies of my hard drives, which PowerDVD does.
    Cheers, Rob. :thumbsup:

4. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Rob,
    The timings I have posted are for 750P for the Panny 500 and came from another forum. 720P would be better which would eliminate the black boarder at the top and bottom, which you cannot do in 750P mode (something to do with expecting 750 lines of data, PJ has 720).

As the Panny manual does not list "750P / 50" as a valid mode, it makes you wonder how many other valid modes would work which are also NOT listed. :rolleyes:

What were the timing values for 720P on Sanyo and have you tried them with EDID1 and + sync?

I'm using PowerDVD 5 deluxe (with all the decoders), which works fine for everything I want to do.

The real holy grail would still be to find 720 WIDE (as it's called on the Panny) settings, which would work at 50Hz. :thumbsup:

The quest is not over but is certainly less urgent. :) :)

5. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  6. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Rob,
    Very interesting reading, and very :confused:
    The Z2 uses the same panels but the processing could be totally different.
    I get the impression that some people think they are operating in 50Hz mode when in fact they are not.

The setting I posted definately work in 50Hz mode and give vast improvements in judder reduction, although I think there are occasional judders. This could be the source material. Reclock could be the answer for the final sync of all the hardware (sound, video and system clocks). I think I'm going to have a play with this also.

It would be nice to get 1080i working @ 50Hz, or 720WIDE. Playing with settings uses soooooooooo much lamp life. :mad:

7. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I absolutely recommend Reclock. Now that you have 50hz working, Reclock will remove any last juddders/stutters matching the 25fps to PAL output.
    Enjoy, Rob. :D

8. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Reclock has added the final touches. Silky smooth pans no judder, just reliable viewing :thumbsup: :clap:

I wonder if anyone has got 720WIDE 50Hz working? I think I'll send an email to Panny asking for the general timing values, so that I can work out the powerstrip settings.

Anyway, will start enjoying my collection of DVDs now. :smashin:

9. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Old thread, but over the weekend i was playing with the nvidia drivers that i have, feeding my ae500 with a signal over DVI.

The Screen Resolutions And Refresh of drivers v78.01, under the Advanced Timing section, theres a Mode And Timing drop down box. Lots of HDTV resolutions in there, including 720 @50 and 60hz, as well as interlaced 1080 resolutions and PsF options too. This is with a Geforce 6800GT card.

pez

10. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks pez for the info. Things have moved on a bit since then.....different graphics card, no longer driving the PJ from PC.......BUT with HD around the corner I may be re-visiting HTPC in the future.

One prob is the none HDCP compliant DVI on the 500. Can't really be a*s*d these days with too much fiddling about. I've finally discovered actually watching things. I think it may catch on.

Once again thanks, you've brought back memories of hours spent trying to get the damn thing working.

11. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Are you sure about that? I'm running 720p from a Denon 3910 into an AE500 using HDMI to DVI, surely this wouldn't work if the panny wasn't HDCP compliant?

12. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I don't know the DVD player you quote, is it HD-DVD or Blue Ray?
    Only those formats (together with DVB program content) will use the content management protocol.

If no content management is present (which would be the case with an upscaling conventional DVD player) then HDMI to DVI will work. You will have no such luck with programs containing content management. :mad:

13. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Have a read of this review. The spec's quote a HDCP compliant DVI-D input.

The way I understand it is that for HDMI to work, the DVD player has to complete a "handshake" with the display before a connection can be established. Upscaling DVD players - like my 3910 - can't output 720p/1080i without this. This is the reason why they cannot output the upscaled signal over component, only HDMI/DVI.

14. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I always thought the PT-AE500E DVI-D input was not HDCP compliant. I'm sure I've read that it isn't. As for your setup, the content management comes off the HD-DVD/Blue ray disc. Standard DVDs do not send any handshaking information as far as I'm aware. You need a "proper" HD signal via HDMI to test the input.

For some reason the 500 is not on the Panny web site. 300, 700, 900 etc but no 500 :rolleyes: :confused: . The manual does not mention HDCP compliance.

I'm sure I read that the 700 was compliant, unlike the 500.

Does anyone else know?

15. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Its not the discs that are sending the handshake, its the player. This is the same for any with a HDMI connection, HDCP compliance is part of the spec, it will only send a signal to an display once HDCP compliance has been confirmed.

A few people have had issues with plasma displays because, although they have a digital input, they are not HDCP compliant, this issue will probably crop up again as Sky HD becomes more widespread too.

16. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just to let you guys know, I'm running the new Toshiba HD-DVD player with the AE500 (via a HDMI-DVI cable) at 1080i with no problems at all. This proves the DVI input on the AE500 is HDCP compliant.

17. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cool stuff!

Now then, who here with an ae500 also has Sky HD running over HDMI-DVI, and what is it like?

pez