1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 50" owners - help reqd

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by phil_evans, Aug 13, 2002.

1. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ivojo have the 50" TH-50PHW3B for just under £5500 incl. VAT - which sounds like a great price. However, I'm a bit confused. Based on the photo at Ivojo...

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/panasonic-th-50phw3b.htm

and the Panasonic UK site...

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/nw/products/product.asp?c=TH50PHW3BM

...the frame seems very wide at the sides (almost looks like its got speakers attached).

However, I thought this is what it looked like (thinner border all round, like the 42"):

http://www.aventisav.com/SpecSheets/PANASONICTH50PHW3B.htm

Can anyone who owns one confirm what it looks like and whether this is the latest (consumer) model?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Agree that something doesn't look right ...

I saw the 50" grey panny is the US last week and the proportions were similar to the 42" (which I have and they had there alongside) ...

I wonder if those pics are of the actual screen and not a 'generic' or old screen ?

btw - the panny UK site is down for maintenance ...

3. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the Panny UK site again and its back, but in Euro-compliant format (old format was terrible).

However, the only Plasma they are currently listing in the Tau TV section is a 37" one I've never heard of with yet another new stand (although the frame is still the thin picture-like one).

The specifications are hardly complete either...!

http://www.panasonic-europe.com/tau/products/range.asp?s=pw&r=plasma

SPECIFICATIONS FOR TH-37PW5

· 127 cmV 106cmV
    · Plasma Display Panel
    · Exceptional Brightness and Contrast
    · Real Black Drive System
    · Advanced Plasma AI
    · Advanced Digital Signal Processing
    · Improved Moving Picture Performance
    · Multi-media Applications
    · Super Thin and Light
    · Silent Running Operation

4. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i hope its fishy I just paid for 1 after scouring the country for weeks and paid £6700 for it. Other prices quoted are average including the 42 inch so why should that be cheaper ?. I know the cheaper version which is in black not domestic build.
    The screen by the way should be thin around all the outside and should be silver .

6. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the TH-50PHW3A in action at Panasonic HQ in NZ. Looks very nice, and yes the border is identical to that of the 42" model. The model at the Pana UK website is the TH50PHW30B which is a new model. I'm not sure what the extra border stuff is on the edges, but I'm told that the newer models may have speakers built in (rather than as expensive and not very good extras). 5500 quid is a very nice price, you can't get that model here for under NZ$40,000 (which is 12500 quid). 40K is more than the average yearly wage too. Makes me wish I was back in the UK earning the big bucks.

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello all

It looks to me like the photo with the 'fat' sides includes the optional speakers and the panel now has Silver top and bottom rails and Black side rails - so without the speakers you will have an all Black side rail.

I would call Panasonic Consumer to confirm though.

Best regards

Joe

8. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks kiwiranger, Joe

I guess all I really want to know is whether the old model TH-50THW3B has the thin frame! I found the combined manual for the 50THW3/50THD3 model and it looks like they are both of the thin frame variety, but I'll give Ivojo or Panasonic a call later to make sure.

markbuffyfan - good price I know - hence so much suspicion!

Phil

9. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phil if this really is the real deal will you let me know the outcome please I have not had mine delivered yet and I may be able to salvage the cash agrand is a lot of money in anyones books.

Mark

10. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rang these people todayPhil its a great deal and its in stock , but..... its an older model since then the chassis has been modified which has im told given an improved performance. However, at a grand difference its a major price increase, so i called Sound and Vision (Farnworth) Whom I have mine ordered with and they were very surprised at the deal on offer to say the least because of their level of business and margin. The business owner (Simon) contacted the powers that be at Panasonic and kept me in the loop with what was going on and to cut a long story short they have more than satisfied me their customer and they are to be highly commended for doing so. Over the years I have spent a lot of money with this company but their wanting to leave me satisfied with the purchase I made and have gone above and beyond what could reasonably be expected .So my opinion is if you are going to look for something which is new, with excellent backup go there.I know i will continue to do so.

11. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Phil

I hope you get heaps of enjoyment out of the new toy.

My Pana NZ contacts have told me that Plasma pricing here is on the way down. I should be able to get my hands on the 42" I've been drooling over at the end of next year for about 3500 quid. (mate's rates).

Can't wait to be rid of the old 4:3 and start watching all those movies in real widescreen. Now I just have to convince that handbreak.

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

12. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps newest model is 30b not 3 b, The ivojo deal is still a really good price

13. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

So is the 30B the one with the odd new look (no silver vertical edges) as described by Joe and shown on Panny's website?

If so, how "new" is the 30B and am I safe in assuming that the 3B has the standard frame (all the way round like the 50THD3)?

Still confused.... lets put it this way, I assume you've ordered the 30B so what are you expecting yours to look like?!

Thanks,
    Phil

14. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the 30b is the new model ,Im led to belive it actually changed about 8 months ago but has only recently filtered its way here.
    Because of the price they dont exactly turn over that many and they have taken a while to get to the uk.

I think ???? the black vertical lines is for the 3 model with the older chassis apparently there is no change to the electronics just the chassis but it is a improvement on the 3b model and it shows in the picture quality.

Im expecting sleek lines all the way round Phil but who knows ??the unit is in stock but im having a wall built to hang it on so i have not taken delivery yet.

15. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil at long last im having my screen installed next friday
    will let u know then. I am also told the newer models (series 5 on 42 etc) are going to be more about re-enginnering the cost down to make the price more competative .I will post on the forum when its installed .Still very unsure about the inputs and cables required .Apprently there is a shortage of tuners in the UK and so i am purchasing with a panasonic dvd recorder and firewire .

16. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Mark

Save your money with the tuner and get a £50 free-to-air digibox off ebay and a FTA card ... much better picture and will do RGB and (depending on box) coax digital sound ... spend the £650 quid you save on your cables and rgb>vga boxes ... and oh a PS2 from Woolies for 169.99 with Crash bandicoot 5 free !!

17. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark -

Glad to hear yours is on its way. I'm off on holiday tomorrow for a week, so will look forward to reading how you get on when I'm back.

I'm still undecided but hoping September price adjustments will start to become noticeable when I'm back, or shortly after. Whilst Ivojo's 50" panny price is still VERY tempting I've also asked Joe @ TMF to investigate options and pricing on the new NEC MP4 and haven't ruled out the Pio 433 or new Pannys.

Jont -

how would you cable up one of the new digital terrestrial boxes to a plasma without scart-in? The Nokia box I saw in John Lewis first went into the Panny tuner box. On the new Pace digital tuner, the SCART lead is captive and there are no other outputs - again, whats the best way of connecting to one of the Panny's inputs?

I'm not a big games player, but that Woolies offer sounds very tempting (and an easily justifiable purchase if I go for a 42/43" screen instead of the 50"!!!)

Cheers
    Phil

18. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Phil ... there are a couple of ways of doing it ...

1) buy a rgb>vga converter box from John Sims ... this will take an rgb scart in from a digibox and convert it to rgbhv out on a vga (you will need a vga>vga lead ... (you can use an old pc one or buy anything from £25 to £100 !!) ... cost of box is £150

2) buy a syncblaster kead from Keene electronics ... this has a scart at one end and a vga (or 5 phono plugs - RGBHV) at the other with supposedly some electronics built into the scart plug to do the necessary signal conversion/separation ... these are about £75 ... they work well for some people, not others, kind of depends on the quality of the signal coming out of the digibox ...

3) if you are feeling handy with the soldering iron you could handmake a version of (2)

An advantage of using the vga inputs is that it will leave the component inputs free for dvd !!

hope this is of use ...

19. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jont

U sound like a man in the know (nice gear list by the way)
    I have the following to connect up

a sony 735 dvd on component output presumably (is their any harm in using the maplin phono convertes to bnc inputs on the panny.

An Ntl digi cable box for on rgb scart

A Televes common interface digital for euro sattelite channels
    (this is outputs composite signals only through a scart)

The panasonic dvd recorder I spoke of is part of a throw in which sound and vision did for me to compensate for non availability of the tuner and i am told this will solve my input problems. I asked if i would need to get a rgb to vga box but told not (it has component out and RGB on the dvsd recorder) but i think this will need to be used as I do not fancy plugging stuff in and out and by my reckoning all sockets will be used. What do u think ?

Phil cant wait to do the post also bought the jbl xti rig including their mega sub and a denon 3802 and they say xmas comes only one a year eh

20. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Mark

Thanks for the compliment ... it's taken a while but I'm pleased with what I've got, it all works very well !! ...

With regard to your kit ... I would certainly put the dvd on the component inputs ... you can use the phono>bnc converters without losing signal but you might want to treat yourself given everything else ... you can probably get a good custom made lead for the same price as a good phono/phono + adapters ...

If you are going to use the ntl and the Televes as your sources can you get them both into the dvdr ?? in which case i would go for an rgb>vga box and keep all your broadcast viewing through on that input ...

You can probably still get the PS2 on RGB on loop through the sony dvd ?? If not then it could go into the s-video ...

What you do with audio will depend on the routing and your amp ...