1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 50 owners 5 series

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nhk, Mar 20, 2003.

1. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to go firm on this screen next week but have only recently become aware that it has a fan that is permanently ON.

For those who own this display, can you reassure me that the fan noise is relatively unobtrusive. I have seen a few threads from Red Rose that the display is extremely noisey (albeit the 3 series).

If this is the case am I not better off with the Pioneer MXE. I prefer the Panny picture and am not ceonerned about the connectivity as I use component only.

Grateful for some first hand advice.

2. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi nhk,

Yeah,

The fans are constantly on but, (on the 50" that I had at least) the fans were whisper quiet. In my totally silent room, when you initially powered up they would come on with an audible "rush" but then immediately "throttle back" to a whisper & I never heard them increase in volume again from this setting.

For me at least, with fans this quiet, the added peace of mind that they are there if really needed to cool the panel was a bonus. I'd sooner have the benefit of optimised "panel life" that probably come with "operating within design parameters" rather than the possibility of "problems" due to running "hot" on those panels that have no means to apply additional cooling if required!

I'm not saying that the above is "technically" accurate but looking at it in this way sure helps! ;)

So, fans were a non-issue for me! :smashin:

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

3. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - it sure is a comfort to know that the fans are relatively quiet. I have a 42" Panny series 4 on loan from the store and it certainly has a buzzing noise - but this does not diturb me and I can not detect it even at low volumes.

If the fan noise is at this level of the buzz or lower I can live with it.

For me the Panny has the edge on picture compared to the others I have seen - so this is good news.

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will only hear the fan noise if you want to! It is no more intrusive than a VCR motor and whisper quiet compared with projector fans. Don't worry, the image will more than compensate for it.

5. GregMarst

GregMarst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nhk

I fully concur with KBDVD. The fans do come on with a whoosh, which is a little disconcerting the first time you hear it, but settles down to almost nothing within a second or two. I can only hear it if the room is silent and I am less than a foot from the screen. I have no power supply buzzing, at least that I can hear. In fact from my seating position (about 12' away) the only thing I can hear, in quiet passages, is the DVD player, a Philips 963SA, spinning a disc.

I really wouldn't let this put you off buying.

Greg

6. Glayvar

Glayvar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sit 8feet away from mine and have to say I cannot hear the fan whatsoever, so go for it, you will not be disappointed. My Panny 42" is THE best purchase I have made for some time.

Enjoy!:rotfl:

7. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's because the 42" has no fan - the 50" has a few that are permanently on.

8. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    nhk,

I have the 50" Panny and it has in fact got 4 fans, however they are not a problem. Buzzing is a differnt matter though, I'm on my second panel at present expecting a third within the next couple of weeks!! First screen was OK (from a noise point of view but failed after 1 month). Replacement was nosier (the famous buzz) and I eventually returned to Panasonic who although claimed it was within permitted limits said they will replace it anyway.

All this sounds a bit negative however the picture is superb (IMHO better than the Pioneer) hence my perserverence!! Plasmas are not silent however they are not intrusive. My tip is don't listen for it and you probably won't hear it!!! Enjoy the picture and turn the sound up.

Regards BigH.

9. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I had decided in Jan to go Panny and was awaiting delivery this week. But I stupidly thought that it was fanless (why the brochures and websites do not explain this is beyond me).

Anyway I have since gone back to the "search the forum" scene trying to see if I was indeed making the right choice. I was then thrown with the next curve ball which is the DVI (or compatible HDMI) interface. The Panasonic should in theory be upgradable, but it seems the larger manufacturers will leave you out in the cold and rely on an upgrade - though I may not require DVI/HDMI soon anyway.

The black level of the Pio is still (theoretically) putting me off. I can see this when compared to a Panny, but I asked my wife to look at at a 433MXE in Selfridges (in isolation) and comment on the picture. She tells me she is not discerning enough to see the black details and the picture was very good to her. Now if you factor in that I could save £900 for the Pio over the Panny the question starts to look very different.

Also I have the privilege of a 42 Panny (4 series) on loan and relaise that we often watch in relatively high ambient light. Consequently, the brighter Pioneer levels may be better. I do not buy the 3000:1 contrast of the Panny though I do believe that it is much better than the rest though.

I still have the Panny 50" scheduled, but I may decide to go Pioneer tomorrow.

10. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    nhk,

you need to judge for yourself go and have a look at the models concerned don't rely on the smaller models as they are very different from there larger relatives. There is a difference IMHO with contrast and the blacks with the Panny being superior compared to the Pioneer. I have the option to swap the Panny for the Pioneer however I would regret changing knowing that the Panny is better visually! You should be aware that the 50" Pioneer also has fans, however from what I have heard and read they don't run very much if at all - it depends on the ambient conditions I guess. Personally I would forget the fan issue and enjoy the viewing pleasure.

Regards BigH