1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 5 (with Tuner) aspect switching

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwhite8314, Feb 22, 2003.

1. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's annoying me. We wantch most TV via TiVo - when the menu's are displayed, it switches into Panny Auto mode, which is just fine, as it's the mode where the perspective is kept the same in the middle of the screen, but stretched at the sides, so there's no black borders.

However, when I play something via TiVo (or terrestiral for that matter) it switches to a different mode, meaning that I lose about an ince off the top and bottom of the picture.

Is there a way I can 'lock' the aspect into the auto-strech mode? The only options I can actually access are 3 zoom levels, 14:9, 16:9 and 4:3. there's no way to select the 'strtch' mode, which is basically 14:9 stretched a bit.

Does this make sense? Basically, I want to use the full size of the screen without losing important bits of the picture.

PS - You can turn 'scart control' off from TiVo, but it makes no difference.

2. per_strom

per_strom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Auto is auto. Then it tries to display what it thinks is the most appropriate mode. Seldom what the user thinks is the best mode...

Try to switch the Panny to "Just" mode and check the aspect settings on the TIVO. This will stretch any 4:3 material to 16:9. If the the source is using WSS signaling the Panny will switch into WIDE mode when such a signal is detected.

I use "Just" mode all the time and my Cablebox and DVD (which support WSS when widescreen material is viewed) automatically switches the Panny into WIDE.

Note that there are still modes that has to be switched manually if you for example watch 2.35:1 Material on DVD and don't want to see the black borders. In these cases the user has to select one of the Zoom modes (Zoom1,Zoom2 or Zoom3) manually on the Panny as these borders are parts of the broadcasted signal.Using "Auto" mode on the Panny may work but the Panny may select a zoom mode not wanted by the user.

There are more threads discussing all aspect ratios and Wide screen (16:9) tv sets.

Things would be much easier if they only were ONE standard widescreen apect ratio.

3. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but unfortuantly the 'just' mode isn't available via the tuner - I suspect this is the one I want, but only Panasonic can decide when to let me use it :rolleyes:

I've tried messing around with the TiVo settings but it's made no difference. I've not tried playing with the Dodgybox though, so maybe I'll give that a go.