1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 5 tuner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NeilMcRae, Dec 22, 2002.

1. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anyone know if you can make this jump direct to an AV source rather than a channel? Is there a service mode for the tuner?

Regards,
    Neil.

2. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried to find discrete codes for this, basically going through all the possible Device 128 and 128 sub 4 infrared codes which the PW5 and tuner use but apart from a couple of useless ones like noise reduction toggle etc, I've given up hope on discrete A/V codes.

I also logged a call with Panasonic tech support and got no where. I let them know I though it was a major oversight that on a piece of kit aimed at the high end of the market that you couldn't switch to AV inputs directly.

Anyway I've ended up programming the remote such that you can only switch to a given source if you start from watching a tuner TV channel, then by hitting TV/AV and one of Red, Green, Blue or Yellow you can select an AV channel.

Unfortunately you will still get the problem occasionally where you will switch to AV2 instead of AV2S and you have to toggle the chosen Red, Green etc to fix it.

Pretty poor isn't it !

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I had the same problem when I bought my first 36" TV in the days when 36" were BIG!

I argued that 36" TVs were aimed at high end 'home cinema' users and the lack of 'descrete codes' was criminal.

It got me no-where and I ended up sending the TV back.

In the end, the only work around was to power the device on/off/on, so that it would send a signal down Pin8 and switch over.

So, if I had my Digibox on AV2, by switching it off/on/off, would signal the TV to switch over to AV2.

To be fair it worked pretty well and to be fair to Panasonic, this is the way that it was designed to work... But why don't they have descrete codes.

Better still, why can't you assign an AV input to a Channel number like you can on a Sony TV?

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Exactly...