1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny 5,tuner & progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by allanrose, Dec 19, 2002.

1. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting conflicting advice from all sources; but does anyone know if the component input on the tuner will accept progressive PAL or NTSC signals? PAL of course preferred!....thinking about the philips dvd963

cheers

AR

2. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi There Allanrose

I my Have Just Order One Panny 5 with tuner if you look

here it says PAL Progressive Compatible

thanks boogie man

3. Ando

Ando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    joho,

just to make you feel a little more comfortable i'd like to throw in my personal experience with that set.
    i recently connected a modded xbox through component with the panny tuner and t recognizes progressive input. looks a little better than interlaced but its not the BIG difference i was hoping for. whatever, the panny does progressive (although xbox outputs just ntsc progressive) and if you disconnect the cable connecting tuner and plasma at the tuners site you can use the vga input too. so the tuner is no disadvantage compared to the bare panel as most people in such forums would like to tell you (mostly without having seen it).

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The tuner accepts PAL progressive via component in.

My experience of interlaced DVD vs progressive DVD on the 50" Panny is different to Ando's. With my Arcam DV27 DVD player, PAL progressive is like a new high resolution picture compared to the interlaced one. Very impressive!

One key factor here is resolution.

If you have a plasma with a resolution of 852x480 then progressive may not make much difference as the vertical resolution is less than PAL's visible line resolution anyway; the image will always be scaled down. If you have 1366x768 then the difference can be very noticeable, however, some people get great results with lower resolution too (depending on next point).

Another, is the chipset that is doing the progressive scan.

The progressive scan in the Panny 5 screen is pretty good already, but a chipset like Silicon Image SiI504 (as in my DVD) does a better job.

Finally, source.

Computer games already have a seperate image in each field as opposed to video that has one image over two fields (in PAL anyway).

StooMonster

5. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi allanrose, my philips 963sa came yesterday, hooked it up this morning with ixos component lead to my lg z14 plasma and WOW the quality of picture is superb the differance pro scan makes is amazing, this dvd player is superb. goy mine from digital direct multiregion £330-00 inc del i would not hesitate in buying one of these machines thats if they have any left?