1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 5 tilting bracket

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Truffles, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't hold out any longer. Panny 5 it is. It looks like the next weekend will be spent channeling out the chimney breast for the cables. Not that I've bought any of those yet.

But has anyone seen any decent deals on the tilting brackets?

2. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Unicol seem to be the amongst the cheapest (compared to OEM and RS products, anyway).

Tilting brackest tend to lift the plasma off the wall by 20-30 cm over flat brackets. I feel you only need tilting if the plasma is very high (or the seats are very low!). I tested both at Unicol in Oxford, and bought the (cheaper) fixed bracket.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Gileso

Unicol give you THREE standard options:

PLX - flat to the wall adds around 20mm to the depth of the display with no tilt available.

PLW - flat to the wall adds around 60mm to the depth of the display (NEW REVISED 03 MODELS ONLY) and is also universally adjustable for tilt (0-10 deg).

PTX - flat to the wall adds around 20mm to the depth of the display and also offers tilt to 5, 10 and 15 degrees and includes a locking device to deter thieves.

Best regards

Joe

4. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

you are right over the three options (and yes, the PTX is as thin as the static mount). Unicol's RRPs are:

PLX - £129,20 + VAT
    PLW - £172.05 + VAT
    PTX - 224.60 + VAT

The point I was trying to make is that Unicol gave me the opportunity of viewing all the mounts in their factory, and none of the team could think of a reason for using tilt in a 'normal' domestic situation (e.g. plasma around 6ft high, standard suite furniture). I went for static and am well pleased.

Either way, even the PTX comes in at less than OEM prices...

regards

Giles

5. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help, I've ordered the PTX from Unicol. I'm hedging my bets with this one cause if it does't look right tilted then I can still use the flat option.

As I don't want the system just sitting there when it arrives - what cables/connectors do I need and where best to get them from?

System
    Panasonic TH42PW5B (from John Lewis, but not using the tuner, pending), Anthony Gallo micros (pending), Pioneer 2011 (pending), Panasonic DMR HS2 (pending), sky + (pending)

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello Giles

Its probably a good thing then that Unicol tend to react to customer suggestions and requirements rather than innovate :)

Anyone that's stuck a 50" display up on a wall and had reflections from light fittings of the 'I can't move or adjust that one' type will tell you exactly why the ability to tilt such a big piece of glass is no bad thing.

I'm also guessing your viewing distance is probably fairly un-typical of most installations - with 9' - 10' the norm (according to the feedback I get from customers) and at 9' a display that's set 6' up on a wall would possibly give me a sore neck if I count tilt it down slightly.

Best regards

Joe

PS I didn't post the Unicol prices as I'm not allowed to post that type of info on the forum!

PPS Truffles - that's a Virtual system you've got there :)

7. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe -

You're right again. I could have saved a lot of typing by pointing out that TMF will offer unbiased advice and competitive prices on whatever solution is required (as you're not allowed to!). I mean this sincerely - I've read a lot of Joe's posts on this forum, and I can't remember anything like a sales pitch from him!

I like the idea of a virtual system - cost-free upgrading and no credit card balances to deal with... Not too certain about sound or picture quality, though...

Giles

8. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may scoff, and I might be looking at a blank chimney breast right now and listening to virtually nothing but when all the bits and pieces arrive I shall be hibernating for the rest of the year.

PS Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

9. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for the record, I paid £169.50 for a tilting bracket from RS (after some negotiation), and measured from the metal backplate of the screen to the wall adds just under 60mm to the depth.