1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny 5 series

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by thxultra, Feb 22, 2003.

1. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    are all these fancy prog scan boxs you see advertised for giving you better pictures with sky and digital boxs worth it.i run my ondigital box thru a panny s-video machine and use the s-video output to the plasma.
    apart from some tizzing round the channel logos and some other edges the picture is as good as it gets.
    opinions please?

2. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll get more replies if you put a more descriptive header ;)

I used composite input for SKY and VCR for my first month of plasma ownership whilst I sorted out my options. I kind of got used to the dot crawl and fuzziness - it hid all the Sky artifacts !

Eventually I went with the flow on this forum and got a Jon Sims RGB to VGA convertor and I have to say that IMHO it's worth the £124 to seriously improve the Sky picture. I can't compare to S-Video, but I'm sure others will offer there 2 cents.

3. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thxultra
    I am currently doing exactly the same thing as you, Ntl digital scart rgb out into panny svhs video and then out of svideo.The pq is ok but not perfect with dotcrawl over itv logo and fuzzy faces etc.I have just purchased an rgb to vga converter and will post any results as soon as it arrives.

4. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    looking forward to here what you think lab

5. mambasna

mambasna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heres my tupence worth, the js rgb to vga is worth every penny of £124. My Grundig Digibox has Svideo output in addition to the scart and have compared the composite, svideo and now the js RGB2VGA input to the panny pw5. Each step is a definite improvement. I can even live with the loss of 'just' mode in VGA input. Annoying logos are pushed almost off the top of the screen by viewing in zoom mode.

6. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thxultra

Just received my rgb to vga converter.Initial impressions are that the upgrade is well worth it. I have had to adjust the picture position and size as it was way off but the pq has improved by 60% at least.There is absolutely no dot crawl or fizzing on text,on the ntl browse menu I was getting diagonal lines through the yellow edges of the box and this has totally disappeared leaving the text crystal clear and stable.I am able to go much closer to the screen now without any distortion or artefacts on faces etc.
    I will be very interested to see the football tonight to see if there is any improvement on moving images.Incidentally the converter I have is the lektropacks which I bought secondhand off ebay as I am experimenting I don`t want to spend too much money.From what I can tell from this board the js version is even better so I will be keeping a lookout for a cheap secondhand one to see if there is another improvement to be gained.In the longterm I will still be waiting for a scaler at the right price which matches the native resolution of my plasma,I don`t think the cheap versions such as prov will make an improvemebt (but I may be wrong) but for what it`s worth this vga converter is definitely a step up the upgrade ladder in achieving the full potential of the screen.
    Cheers, hope this helps.

7. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yet another update.
    After some tweaking I think the picture has improved even more than my initial impressions.Having had the opportunity to view my more regular tv fare to see a comparison, pq is up approx 60/70 % especially bbc news, eastenders( yeah,I admit it) The champions league match last night was beyond belief for the clarity and lack of digital artefacts etc,in fact can anyone tell me the score, I watched the whole thing but I`ll swear all I ended up doing is admiring the pq and looking for problems! The only problem which remained is when the camera scanned quickly the line markings on the pitch show diagonal black lines which disappear as soon as the camera stops.This was present before also.
    On the downside you do lose some picture tweaks such as sharpness and colour and homecinema setting and the just and auto aspect modes disappear. I can live with that for this pq though.No worries.:D :D :D