1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 5 Quasie 100Hz

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Cummo, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Cummo

Cummo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone had the upgrade chip installed in their panny 5 series plasma with the eprom set to the Quasie 100Hz mode. The chip for my series 5 is presently on back order from Panasonic. I am interested to see how the reduced greyscale affects the picture quality.

2. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a permanent feature or can it be turned on and off?

3. Cummo

Cummo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Geeseman,
    It is a first for the serviceman doing the job. I believe it can be reversed only by going back into the eprom and changing back the settings.

4. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cummo

This is the first I have heard of an upgrade chip for the flicker on a 5 series. Could you give the forum members some more details. Such as:-

Who fits the upgrade?
    How much is it?
    Is it on-site or a return to base upgrade?
    Does it affect the warranty?
    Anybody got it installed yet?

Very interesting, great thread!

Take it easy

Warren

5. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm this sounds interesting :)

6. Cummo

Cummo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Australian Panasonic web site clearly advertisers their series 5 plasma as being flicker free. I have owned my SD model for 5 months & during that time have chased Panasonic for an answer to the problem. Having visited this forum I realised the problem is universal with the series 5 running a Pal signal.
    I have booked the plasma in (under warranty) to have the problem fixed. I have been advised that this is the first standard definition series 5 in the country to have this done. The technician doing the job has received a set of instructions indicating the procedure. This involves an upgrade chip to reset the eprom to Quasie 100Hz. mode. This chip is presently on back order from Japan.
    I have since spoken to a service technician in Melbourne, who advised he has set several 50HD models into 100Hz. mode (no chip required for the HD version). When questioned about the picture quality @ 100Hz. he said the picture was stable but blacks dropped off slightly in darker scenes.
    Hence my reason for the post. Has anyone set their sd series 5 into 100Hz. mode & what picture quality affects does it have.

7. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. I have the 50 series 5 unit and it does flicker as well, although I don't think it's as evident as the 42 SD unit.
    I understand you disappointment with the PAL display, but I will wait for a sollution that includes 60HZ PAL display for SD and HD material and not mess with the internals of the panel.
    Hopefully someone brings out a Digital STB that does 60hz PAL so we can have the 60 hz refresh rate and still keep the colour shades. I'm even considering a Home theatre PC for the job...

8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +657
    I wasn't under the impression that this was done with a 'chip'!

I have been given the details of how to do this 'mod' on my series 5, but have to admit, havn't had the courage (or time) to do it yet.

According to the info I have, its simply a memory register change which has to be made in the service menu, which will put the display in "Quazi 100" mode.

However, talk of a 'chip' to 'reset the eeprom' has made me more nervous about experimenting with my display!

9. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jon,

How about posting the source\info you have, perhaps someone else will do it for you!

Im interested none the less.

Matt

10. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    I am in a bit of a quandary about this. I was given the info in confidence, and managed to get it by stating that I WILL be the tester, but I have never had the courage to do it..

My main concern is that I have an ongoing issue with my screen and am waiting for a man from Toshiba to come and see me and I don't want to jeopardise anything.

I really need to find out from the originator of the info, the implications of giving it out before I do anything.

11. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Dont you have a Panasonic??

Matt

12. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    Sorry.. Didn't see your quesiton until today.. I have a Toshiba WP27, which is a Panasonic Series 5 with a different badge.

As far as I know, the software is exactly the same, so the 'mod' that I have will work on the Toshiba and Panasonic models!