1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 42XXX4EX Vs Fuji 42XXXX with AVM

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sombra, Apr 7, 2003.

1. sombra

sombra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good afternoon to everybody. I'm new here although I've been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks. I'm glad I found it because I have learned quite a bit about plasma screens. I will be getting a plasma screen in the very near future and I've filtered my choices down to two screens.

1. Panny 42XXX 4EX. at 5,890 Euro

Pros: Everybody says this is the plasma to get
    Good price

Cons: Maybe old now that 6 series is rumored to come out soon
    No tuner
    No speakers
    Price only includes table stand
    Smaller electronics chain. Don't know how reliable they are.

2. Fujitsu 42XXXX (can't remember the full number) with AVM, NON-ALIS (no breakout box for the AVM) 6,300 Euro.

Pros: Can choose between table or wall mount
    Dealer has great reputation and Fuji has in-country service

Cons: Some shimmering and jaggies noticed during Colleseum scenes of Gladiator
    More expensive not much though

I'm torn between the two..I like the PQ for both actually, my girlfriend is the one that noticed the shimmering effects and some jaggies while watching it the other day in store.

The Panny was connected via SCART/RGB to a JVC all in one DVD set. Not sure of the number, but it had a glass cover that opened completely, it was nifty.

the Fuji was connected the same way to an Onkyo DVD.

Like I said before, I would like the panny, but I'm not sure of the service I'd get from the dealer after purchase. I am very confident in the Fuji dealer. Also, has anybody had a chance to see the fuji with component input? or at least through a PC? Not too concerned with noise either, slight hums and such don't really bother me. I'm currently using my PC to watch DVDs...that's a noisy beast.

Oh yeah, both have just about the same resolution.

Not much of a question there, but I do have my doubts.

Thanks in advance guys

andy

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    FYI: the Fuji you're looking at is the 42VCA which is Panasonic 4th Generation glass with an AVM processor!

3. sombra

sombra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I had read that some Fujis were using Panny glass, but I wasn´t sure which one I had looked at. The Plasmavision webpage isn´t much help either. So, are you saying it´s superior to the original Panny?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Sombra

I think you do need to clarify whish displays you are looking at before you can make a proper judgment call - for example your abbreviated Panasonic part number is from the older 4 Series displays.

You say the Panasonic is around 5900 euro - if you were in the UK that price looks very high for a Standard Definition (852x480) Panasonic Series 5 display.

Pedestal stands and a whole host of wall mounts are readily available for most model so I can't see that being much of a deciding factor.

Try and view the two displays with a common DVD source - and not one of the all-in-ones if you can avoid it!

Plasma after sales service can be a frustrating affair at times - you have your dealer, the manufacturer, sometimes a local distributor and last of all the manufacturers service agents to take into account!

If you like the Panasonic go with it - there's posibly even enough budget left over to add in an external deinterlacer or scaler! or a 'Non Nifty' high end DVD player :)

Best regards

Joe

5. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    blimey Joe, couldn't you sleep ? :hiya:

6. sombra

sombra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Joe thanks for the info. I'll try to clarify some more. I live in Spain. That is the cheapest I found this display. Even LGs and Samsungs cost about as much. All the plasmas I've seen run around 6,000 Euro and up. I know most of you on this board are in the UK. I should have stated where I'm from first. Might have prevented some confusion. The wall mount or pedestal are deciding factors for me since they come included in the price. A wall mount here can cost at least 300 Euro. To some that might not seem like much money, but to a poor fool like myself, it is. After all, I'm spending close to 6,000 Euro on a display. I want to keep my expenses down. I realize that I'll need to spend more money on cables and such so saving 300 Euro is important.

I would like to be able to see the displays with the same DVD players or at least similar. But that would be difficult. The Fujitsu is at a store called "El Corte Ingles" and doesn't carry Panny displays and the store that has the Panny doesn't have Fujis. The Corte Ingles is a very good store and they do take care of their customers after wards if problems arise. I really don't know about the other place.

If I had my own DVD player I would take it with me. But I watch my movies on my PC and that's where I plan on connecting the display. The PQ on the Panny with the JVC all in one system did look great though. It looked like I was watching it on my PC but supersized. I figure if it looks that good with a lower end system through RGB then it must look even better through the PC or DVD with component.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the Panny, just because everything I've read about it is good. If anybody can convince me to go for the Fuji I would appreciate some comments.

Thanks guys!

andy

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    From what I understand, series 6 are the same as 5 but with tuners built in and lower cost parts (so will be cheaper).

Although Panny series 6 is on it's way; Panny series 5 isn't that old, series 5 plasmas have only really been available for six or seven months.

Compare that with the other manufacturers product cycles, how old are some of the other ranges out there?

StooMonster

8. sombra

sombra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm back! I finally have the specific model number for the Fuji. It is the P42VHA20. The deal has been upgraded. It now also includes the tuner.

Any sugestions? I'm still leaning towards the Panny 4EX. Or may wait a few more months to save up more.. Unfortunately, no garauntee the 4EX will still be available.