Panny 42PX80 run in period

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
Hi

Can someone please put my mind at rest. I have a new 42PX80 and currently have the settings as per the "200 hour run in period" I remember on the post regarding settings it said that you have to avoid channels with fixed logos on or not have them on that channel for more than 30 mins to avoid screen burn.

I am not far into the 200 hour run in period but want to watch the football on wednesday night and am concerned that ITV will have a fixed logo (eg the score) on the screen the whole time. Am I being over cautious by limiting my viewing to 30 mins on any channel with a fixed logo ? will I be ok to watch the game without causing any screen burn on the px80 ?

Probably a dumb question i know but if someone could put my mind at ease i wuld be greatful

cheers

chris

RickyBobby

Novice Member
Am considering this tv so also interested in an answer. Fingers crossed for you it will be a high scoring game (they always take the score down to show replays!)

I imagine it will be ok though, it is only 45 mins a half and you have half time with flashing adverts etc which should make it ok.

audiphile76

Am I being over cautious by limiting my viewing to 30 mins on any channel with a fixed logo ? will I be ok to watch the game without causing any screen burn on the px80 ?

Probably a dumb question i know but if someone could put my mind at ease i wuld be greatful

cheers

chris
Hi Chris,

I would say that stick with the 30 min viewing. You are not being over cautious.

I have watched icehockey championship that was help in Canada for two weeks with watching 2 matches same day with the score in the top middle and i had no issues.

But then there has been an incident with a post today with retention. There is a post with PX80 image retention after watching cricket for couple of hours. Post #293: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738924&page=20
The scorecard has been retained on the screen. So please be careful.

Badger0-0

I think I would watch the match no problem, but just turn over at half time.
FWIW, I don't even think about retention with my PZ70, but I do understand peoples concerns.

RickyBobby

Novice Member
Some people must be lucky and others not. Someone posted on here somewhere that they left their new px80 paused for 9 hours and got away with it. It all depends on what you feel comfortable doing!

audiphile76

Some people must be lucky and others not. Someone posted on here somewhere that they left their new px80 paused for 9 hours and got away with it. It all depends on what you feel comfortable doing!
I think you are partly right. There are panels that get easily affected, but at the same time there are also owners who know where to look for and are too careful to look for retentions and then life is hell. But then, there are few solid cases where people are unlucky to get retentions. But as i said, if you would like to take chances, its fine but i have not had issues with watching games with scorecard almost fulltime there for 40-50 mins.

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
thanks for the replies

i was thinking that i could probably push to 45 mins so could just turn over at half time to another channel for 15 mins or turn the TV off all together for half time then I should be ok to watch both halfs.

For all other viewing i will stick to the 30 mins max - which by the way is driving my wife mad !

i have also avoided watching a dvd with the black bars at the bottom and top as not sure if this would have any effect on screen burn - any ideas ?

cheers

chris

audiphile76

....or turn the TV off all together for half time then I should be ok to watch both halfs.

cheers

chris
Mm..its better to change channel and watch something else for awhile so that it cleans whatever image is retained before switching back to the game rather than turning off the TV(this is not remediating the retained images)

RickyBobby

Novice Member
i have also avoided watching a dvd with the black bars at the bottom and top as not sure if this would have any effect on screen burn - any ideas ?
Yes, it would. I don't know if it only applies to 6:4 TV viewing, but you can change the settings to make the bars grey which would be better.

Badger0-0

If you are going to limit usage, it's best not to turn the telly off, but turn over and get the pixels moving.
Avoiding black bars is possibly a good idea, but the best advice is just to make sure you vary your viewing, eg, if you watch a widescreen film, don't follow it with another one. If you do a bit of gaming, watch a bit of normal telly after etc

audiphile76

Yes, it would. I don't know if it only applies to 6:4 TV viewing, but you can change the settings to make the bars grey which would be better.
Mcdermott is talking about horizontal bars, they cannot be turned to grey with any settings. Only vertical bars can be changed which appear on 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios.

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
Mm..its better to change channel and watch something else for awhile so that it cleans whatever image is retained before switching back to the game rather than turning off the TV(this is not remediating the retained images)
thanks audiphile i will change channel rather than switch off - just as a side note i wonder how long you need to leave the tv on another channel to remove retained images ? am just thinking if 45 mins is pushing it too much i wonder if just changing channel for 30 secs onto another channel would be sufficient to avoid retained images

cheers

chris

RickyBobby

Novice Member
Mcdermott is talking about horizontal bars, they cannot be turned to grey with any settings. Only vertical bars can be changed which appear on 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios.
I thought that might be the case, I don't own the TV so couldn't check. Thanks

Badger0-0

thanks audiphile i will change channel rather than switch off - just as a side note i wonder how long you need to leave the tv on another channel to remove retained images ? am just thinking if 45 mins is pushing it too much i wonder if just changing channel for 30 secs onto another channel would be sufficient to avoid retained images

cheers

chris
Who knows?
But then, do you really want to listen to the drivel that they come out with at half time? :D

I'd switch over for the whole break.

Cooney

thanks for the replies

i was thinking that i could probably push to 45 mins so could just turn over at half time to another channel for 15 mins or turn the TV off all together for half time then I should be ok to watch both halfs.

For all other viewing i will stick to the 30 mins max - which by the way is driving my wife mad !

cheers

chris
Chris, i think that there is some confusion over retention and screen burn. Retention is where there can be a slight after image for a while but this is very temporary and clears quickly when another channel is watched. This effect is very noticeable on CRT tvs, just look at scrolling text etc. Retention can last for mere seconds or a few minutes but maybe not more than this.

Screen burn is very different. This is where a static image or logo is left in place constantly (and we are talking days here). This results in a 'permanent' etching of the image which will 'always' be there. Even this damage can be reversed by displaying a very bright image for a long time.

Let's stick to the issue of retention. When you think about how a plasma (or any screen) works, the individual pixels are driven/blocked to display the required image. The brighter, more colourful and contrasty the image, the more light is required from the pixels. If these settings are turned down as much as is possible to give a decent picture, then the possibility of temporary retention is reduced.

This should only be necessary with new panels for a short period because the phosphors are allegedly at their 'hottest' when new. Advice seems to range from 100 - 200 hours for a run in period.

I have no doubt that you can safely watch the match (unless your settings are very high!) without any problems.

As another poster suggests, turn to another channel at half time. Not so much for retention avoidance, more for boring pundit avoidance!

Screen

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
thanks guys

i will happily watch the game now and just some of the tips youve posted.

hopefully like one poster says the score might be quite (Man U 10 - Chelsea 0 ) so the fixed logo will be changing quite often the more Man U score !

thanks again

chris

TheDean

Novice Member
thanks guys

i will happily watch the game now and just some of the tips youve posted.

hopefully like one poster says the score might be quite (Man U 10 - Chelsea 0 ) so the fixed logo will be changing quite often the more Man U score !

thanks again

chris
I'd prefer it the other way round....but either way I think the chances of permanent burn are very slim

k555ufo

Standard Member
I'm running a break-in disc for 13 hours a day until I reach 300 hours. Until then I will not be using my PX for any tv/film viewing. The wife thinks I'm mad but I know what she's like when it comes to pausing sky+. Once it's up and running I'm going to keep using the disc for a few months and also after playing the ps3.

Badger0-0

I'm running a break-in disc for 13 hours a day until I reach 300 hours. Until then I will not be using my PX for any tv/film viewing. The wife thinks I'm mad but I know what she's like when it comes to pausing sky+. Once it's up and running I'm going to keep using the disc for a few months and also after playing the ps3.
:eek:

There's really no need for that mate; I think you're mad too ;)

But if it does the trick for you, why not?

LOTUSELISE

Standard Member
Only got mine today so am speaking from a stand point of no experience.

I investigated this issue with shops and forums before I bought the set. Guys in tv shops both national and local ones assured me that this issue is vitually a thing of the past and that to get screen burn you'd have to be doing something pretty extreme. I read the post re the guy with the cricket so I understand that it has happened in his experience therefore he'll have a different view.

If I thought that I couldn't watch a footie match right through without having a problem with the screen then I'd be calling JL and telling them that they're selling goods not fit for purpose. In 2008, with current technology are we saying that we can't watch a footie match right through without damaging the screen???? Come on chaps.......

The sticker on my tv proudly say..."Best for sport" and I'll be putting that to the test tomorrow night without turning over at half time etc etc. Most probably I'll be back on here tomorrow night asking how I can get rid of burn!:rolleyes:

I reckon the disclaimers from Panasonic re this is to clear them with issues of comercial and retail premises using plasmas for advertising etc. For home use you'd have to do something daft, like watch cricket :D. Anyone who can watch a cricket match right through deserves more than screen burn. :)

Badger0-0

Anyone who can watch a cricket match right through deserves more than screen burn.

Oi you, I like a bit of cricket, it's an age thing :mad:

We all get old you know and as it happens, I hated it a few years ago.

I love twenty 20 and one dayers.
No doubt when I get really old, I'll learn to love tests too (they bore me sh*tless atm :D).

Dave_nt

I really can’t believe people go to such lengths just so they can use their tv in a normal fashion! It’s absolutely ridiculous. If you can’t watch a football match or anything else without it damaging the screen then the tv simply isn’t fit for purpose regardless of any guff they put in the manual. I mean, a tv people are actually scared to watch normal programs on for fear of damaging it!! MAD!

audiphile76

I really can’t believe people go to such lengths just so they can use their tv in a normal fashion! It’s absolutely ridiculous. If you can’t watch a football match or anything else without it damaging the screen then the tv simply isn’t fit for purpose regardless of any guff they put in the manual. I mean, a tv people are actually scared to watch normal programs on for fear of damaging it!! MAD!
There are also people who behave exactly the opposite aswell. Panny owners from day1 have been paying ps3 for hours at length, watching movies, doing all kinda stuff without any problems. So i wouldnt say its paranoia. Its just that some are too careful than others.

But then there is a reason for being careful with fresh plasma panels as the phosphors being new and unused are susceptible to being too bright leaving images retained and with usage they tend to stabilise hence leaving less risk for retention/damage.

k555ufo

Standard Member
:eek:

There's really no need for that mate; I think you're mad too ;)

But if it does the trick for you, why not?
I'm one of those people who makes sure the slots on screw heads on light switches face the same way and the clips that hold my ceiling lights in face the same way :confused:

I seached for the right panel for over 6 months so I want to make sure everything is spot on before I use it. At the end of the day I still have a very good crt so there is no rush to use the PX.

immy69

Standard Member
Hi

Can someone please put my mind at rest. I have a new 42PX80 and currently have the settings as per the "200 hour run in period" I remember on the post regarding settings it said that you have to avoid channels with fixed logos on or not have them on that channel for more than 30 mins to avoid screen burn.

I am not far into the 200 hour run in period but want to watch the football on wednesday night and am concerned that ITV will have a fixed logo (eg the score) on the screen the whole time. Am I being over cautious by limiting my viewing to 30 mins on any channel with a fixed logo ? will I be ok to watch the game without causing any screen burn on the px80 ?

cheers

chris

oh dont worry you'll be fine, whats a couple of hours on one channel, I have a panny px700 and its on nickjr from 7am till 7pm (thats the little one watchin it, not me) and i never had a problem. keep brightness down, on normal or cinema mode and it'll be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett