1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 42pwd6 start-up whistle

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Alan S, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Alan S

Alan S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my first plasma, a Panny 42pwd6 last September just after release, and have been extremely pleased with it.

However, in the last month it has started to make a loud high-pitched sound (whistle) for about 2 - 3 seconds every time it starts up from standby. Once the picture has come on screen it stops. This happens on both the Sky (PC input) and DVD (Scart input). This is annoying but can be ignored.

However, on two or three occasions in the last few weeks, the whistling has continued, and the picture has come on washed out, then faded to just shadows in a few seconds. This has always been resolved by completely powering off for 5 minutes before restarting. If restarted immediately the noise/lack of picture continue.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem ?

I am reticent about asking Panasonic to resolve, as I understand from other posts on the forum that I would be without a screen whilst it gets fixed. Generally, how long would this take ?

Any advice/guidance would be gratefully received.

Alan

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Alan,

Unfortunately, this does sounds like a fault which is unlikely to go away without gettting Panny involved...

You are probably best contacting the dealer where you bought the plasma from, as you are still within your 1 year guarantee.

If possible I would avoid contacting Panasonic direct at first and your dealer probably has much more "weight" than you anyhow.

I would also insist that you are left with a loan plasma if the repair cannot be fixed onsite.

Good Luck :smashin:

JJ

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Check the small print in your warranty booklet, for a UK sourced screen the loan screen is part of the deal. If it's a european screen it's not but the dealer should provide, especially if he didn't tell you! Panasonic are not good at this bit, they are, as you have read, a bit hit or miss on the rest of the warranty bit, but personally I have never succeeded in getting a loan screen out of them, and when necessary, have always had to provide it myself. They just say they have none available at the moment.

4. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its sounds EXACTLY like the power 'board' problem I had recently, look at my recent thread. Its an in home repair/replacement, takes 15 minutes, difficulty I had was getting Panasonic to come round and actually get it done. in the meantime, if you reduce all your power settings to zero, put the leak limit setting on plus all the power save options the screen will be less affected (for a while).