Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panny 42PW6B

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sreid, Aug 4, 2004.

1. sreid

sreid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Complete plasma ignorant so please bear with me.

From reading all the comments on here the way I seem to be going is for the above screen. I was looking initially at £1500 to £1700 but have been swayed to spend that little bit extra and get that whole lot more.

Can someone explain to me what I will need though as there has been mention of additional boards dependant on how you want to connect it to your existing sytem. I have a video, DVD player and a Sky viewing box connected to a TV all through scart leads with a scart switching box. Now I guess I can just connect the scart into the display (do I need to buy an additional board?) but is there a better way (for picture definition).

I am also assuming that the screen comes with speakers, but no stand so a stand or wall mounted bracket would be necessary.

I have looked on av-sales and the PWD6 is cheaper as a package with quintro+ what do you think about this one?

Again apologies for the endless questions, Shaun

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Shaun,

Does your DVD player have component outputs (red,green and blue sockets, sometimes labelled YPrPb orYUV)? If so, use these and connect into the component inputs of the plasma. If not, DVD scart and Sky scart to switch box. Buy a J S Technology RGB to VGA converter and VGA to VGA lead.

Screen comes without speakers but stand is usually included as part of a package.

Piers
    Home Cinema Engineering

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Shuan - there's a trade off to be had between Scart and component input (using the method Piers describes).

Component gives a better quality signal (there is always debate about how much better is it!) - but you lose the "auto aspect switching" that scart gives (the ability of the screen to automatically display the correct screen size for the program you're watching).

So ... with DVD that's OK (so go for the component route on that) - but for Sky that's a different matter - as some programs will be widescreen and others perhaps not.

It's a trade off - do you want the best quality signal and are prepare to accept having to manually change the aspect ratio when changing programs, or do you accept the slightly inferior Scart signal - but know that your screen will automatically pick the right aspect mode.

It's a tricky question/issue ... and one I need to make a decision on before I go out and buy my PW6D! :)

ZedZed

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    If only it always picked up the W/S switching it would be a more straightforward choice, but it's a bit hit or miss.

5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Speakers aren't normally standard and for the £250-300 they cost I can't see much point, get yourself a budget 5.1 system and I'm sure you'll be much happier with the restults...

As for connections, many offers include at least one board, usually either the Scart board or the Component/S-Video/Composite dual board.

As said Scart is the only way to get aspect switching as default, and if extremely useful with Sky, although that being said the amount of 4:3 programmes is on the decline, and it depends if you'd take particular issue with a stretched picture with 4:3, if it didn't bother you then you could just leave it in 16:9 all the time.

I personally got the dual component board free in my deal (it is the more expensive and harder to get hold of board) and got a new Scart board for £80 in the classifieds section. The component board is the best one for future proofing as it can take many signal types, including RGBHV which you could use with a Scaler for example as a future upgrade...

Picture quality wise on my system, I'm more than happy with the RGB Scart picture from NTL. It is far better than it was on my old CRT TV which used Composite Scart. I have no complaints and have no urge to upgrade to a JS Converter. The component connection for my DVD is stunning, properly configured (with a DVE DVD) and with progressive switched on the PQ is amazing, almost 3D in appearance, I noticed an immediate difference between the component and scart connections when I was testing my DVD with both, it's hard to explain but the lighting with the component connection seemed so much more real, for the first time I understood why some people compared a well configured Plasma screen to looking out of a window as opposed to looking at a screen.

As for the PWD6, that is the commercial model that conforms to commercial plasma guidelines and is also only available in charcoal/black. The PW6 is the consumer model, which conforms to consumer plasma regulations and is available in silver. The actual screen and PQ is the same AFAIK. The commercial models are often cheaper than those aimed for the home market, that's why many go for the PWD6. If you look hard enough you can occasionally find a silver PW6 going for the same sort of price (I got mine for £1969 inc the component dual board, but the offer has changed now)