1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny 42PV500 or Sagem Axium HD45

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by polyfiller, Jun 25, 2005.

1. polyfiller

polyfiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right...... my patience is almost gone.... have a 42PV500PED on order and still have no positive news regarding even a likely shipping date. I was walking around Curry's today (to show my sprog what a PV500 looked like) and happenned to see the Sagem HD45... which I think was running a HD input .... the picture looked really stunning.

Now considering I'm not looking to wall mount (new TV is going on an Ikea unit) ..... I do want it to be relatively slim .... which the Sagem is for a DLP set. My main viewing is, well, everything..... lots of SKY, lot's of DVD's and lots of XBOX.

I have a positive experience of rear proj sets (last was a Sony 41 inch)... only draw back was the foot print (mine was 7 years old and therefore took up a huge amount of space).

From a quick hunt round the web the Sagem is quoted is next day delivery by a nmber of traders.... so I would not have to go through the turmoil of waiting a month or more for delivery.

What I'm looking for is an informed opinion regarding picture quality between the two sets. Anyone got any comments of the relative pro's & cons's ?

2. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As everything else is pretty much taken care of in your requirements, there are two distinct cons with the Sagem set:

1) The vertical viewing angle isn't very good - shouldn't be a problem if you are sitting down, with the screen at eye level.

2) The lamp needs replacing every so often, and can be quite expensive - from what I've heard, you could be looking at about £300 every 2 years.

The PV500 has some other advantages - such as overall brightness, and the ability to wall mount, but that shouldn't matter too much to you.

However, the Sagem does have a distinct advantage in a native 720p resolution.

IMHO, if you don't need a plasma, and can live with the viewing angle and lamp replacements, then the Sagem is a great buy.

3. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You do have to be aware of a few quirks of DLPs. There is the 'rainbow' effect that comes from the colour wheel used internally - some people can see a flash of different colours when moving their heads. Also, there is a certain 'graininess' to the screen that is inherent in back projection sets - the Sagem has a particularly sugary coating. I don't know how noisy they are, either. But plasmas and LCDs have their own idiosyncrasies, too.

4. polyfiller

polyfiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback .... looks like the Sagem could be a good option for me then. Viewing angle is not going to be too much of a problem (it's better than my old sony RP set and that never really caused a problem).

Braveknight .... what do you mean by advantage in 720p mode .... is it because the Sagem CAN display 1280 x 768 without scaling ? Or is it something else ?

5. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes (almost) - the native resolution of the screen is 1280x720, so any 720p HD material can be displayed without scaling.

6. polyfiller

polyfiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh OK, thought that's what you meant.... thanks for confirming. Trouble is .... I've started reading about "rainbow" problems which seem to be reported by all DLP owners. Confused now.... not sure I want to take the risk of seeing rainbows :confused:

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I wouldn't say all DLP owners have been reporting this. Most owners that have posted seem to be very happy with sets and never see any rainbows. The best thing to do is take some DVDs with you and demo, films with fast moving scenes should throw up some rainbows if your susceptible to them.

8. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I suffer from the "rainbow" effect with my Panny plasma, I'm one of the "unlucky" few that suffer from this side-effect but it is not limited to DLP's, it happens with plasmas too.